3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2012 1:38 PM by philmodjunk

Problem with password changes

CDCASA

Title

Problem with password changes

Hi, I am trying to figure out a problem that I am having with passwords. I would like to have each person who has an account change their password when they next login so I checked the checkmark box next to "user must change password on next login" in the security/edit account dialog box for an account. I also checked the checkmark box nest to "allow user to modify their own password" in the edit privilege set dialog box to allow this to happen. I am assuming I ammissing something and/or do not know the proper way to set this up but after I changed these settings I had the user try to login with their original password thinking it would then ask them to create a new password but all that happened was an error message popped up saying that password was expired. I tried different combinations such as only checking the "allow user to modify their own password" box and unchecked the "user must change password on next login" box- this allowed them to log on with the original password but then we could not figure out how to have that user change their own password. Please let me know how I can arrange this correctly. I have about 20 accounts and I need all of them to be able to change their own passwords. Thank you!

• 1. Re: Problem with password changes
          philmodjunk

Does your database solution consist of a single file or multiple files?

Haven't tested those particular features recently, but would expect them to work just fine for modifying passwords for the current file, but this will not change passwords in any other files that might be part of your database system.

• 2. Re: Problem with password changes
            CDCASA

I am a little unsure of if I understand the terms you are using in the same manner. I have one "file" called XXX.fp7 and within that "file" I have multiple layouts, each with their own table sets, records, etc. So I believe it is just one file but let me know if you mean something different.

• 3. Re: Problem with password changes
              philmodjunk

Then you have a single file solution.

I just ran the following test:

I created a new file and used manage | Security to add a limited access account.

I clicked the "user must change password on next log in" check box.

I selected the "data entry" privilege set which happens to have the "user can change password" option specified but does not have "Must be changed every..." or "minimum password length" specified.

I then clicked OK to leave manage | Security, closed, and re-opened the file, entering the new limited access account and password. I got a dialog asking me to change the password. I changed it, and the file opened normally with no error messages.

Can you spot anything different between my test and your experience?