6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 11:45 AM by jlcahill

Problem with PDF generation

jlcahill

Title

Problem with PDF generation

Hello FM Community.  I need your help!

I've got a FM solution running on Server 13 and I have a client machine running FM Pro Advanced (called hereinafter the "drone") that does nothing but look for reports needing to be created.  What is supposed to happen is as follows:

1. the drone executes a script every five seconds in which it searches for report requests
      3. when the drone finds a new report-request record in the system, the drone goes to the appropriate report layout and saves the record(s) as a PDF
      5. the drone then goes to the original report-request record and inserts the PDF file into a container
      7. the drone flags the record as ready to be viewed

The problem I'm having is that when the drone goes to the original report-request record and inserts the PDF into the container field there (step #3 above), the PDF file automatically opens in Acrobat.  The container object on the layout is NOT set to "Start playback immediately," so I don't know what is causing the PDF to launch.

• 1. Re: Problem with PDF generation
          schamblee

The Save As PDF script step has an option to automatically open the PDF after save under the specify file option there is a check box under after save that states open PDF, uncheck this box.

• 2. Re: Problem with PDF generation
            jlcahill

S Chamblee, thanks for your response.  But the PDF is not launching when the PDF is saved to disk; the option you mentioned is already disabled.  The PDF is launching when the script inserts the PDF file (now already saved to disk) into a container field (on the server).

• 3. Re: Problem with PDF generation
              philmodjunk

You are not the first to have this issue. Others have been able to work around it. See this link: PDFs in Containers started to open automatically in Adobe Acrobat: Please Help

• 4. Re: Problem with PDF generation
                jlcahill

Thanks, PhilModJunk, but the solutions in the other thread don't help.  In fact, the issue has nothing at all to do with a web browser.  The drone that generates the PDF and then inserts it into the container is an FM Pro Advanced client.

But I figured it out.  When I first tested my PDF reporting scripts last week, I was using FMPA 13.0v3.  When trying to solve an unrelated issue, I upgraded to 13.0v5.  It just so happened that this action coincided with my first server tests of the new solution, which is where the PDF popup problem started.  Twenty minutes ago I uninstalled FMPA, re-installed 13.0v1 and upgraded it to 13.0v3 and...

VIOLA!   My solution works as before... PDFs insert into the container with no PDF popups.

This is definitely something worth reporting, IMO.  I'm new to the forum, so how does one go about that?

• 5. Re: Problem with PDF generation
                  philmodjunk

See the report an issue part of this forum, but the problem reported in the other thread also has nothing directly to do with a web browser, so you might re-read it. It's just that interactive container fields are really web viewers in different guise and FileMaker uses the web browser adobe plug ins when showing a PDF in such a container field...

• 6. Re: Problem with PDF generation
                    jlcahill

See the report an issue part of this forum, but the problem reported in the other thread also has nothing directly to do with a web browser, so you might re-read it. It's just that interactive container fields are really web viewers in different guise and FileMaker uses the web browser adobe plug ins when showing a PDF in such a container field...

I will re-read the thread with the above in mind.  For what it's worth, I did disable the PDF addon in IE prior to reinstalling 13.0v3, and the problem was not resolved.  Either way, things are working right now, so I'm somewhat relieved.