1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 1:51 PM by lkn4atlantis

Problem with relationships

lkn4atlantis

Title

Problem with relationships

I am new to FMP, and using edition 5. I'm trying to set up a relationship between 2 files, well trying to learn how to anyway. This is what I did; I went to file, define relationships, opened the other file and chose the 2 corresponding items I want to make relational. Then I went to layout mode, draggd the field icon onto the work area, used the top drop down list to find my relationship and choose that, then choose the same field in the bottom drop down list and clicked ok. But when I go back to browse mode, my relationship doesn't show up, the field does, but not the information. What did I do wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Amy

• 1. Re: Problem with relationships
          philmodjunk

Please describe the fields being used as keys in your relationships. Are they stored, indexed? This should happen automatically when you first use them in a relationship, but since they're not, I'd check.

Are there matching valid entries in both file's key fields?

On a side note:  If you're new to filemaker, I'd seriously consider acquiring an updated installation of filemaker. FMP 5 is many years old and no longer supported by Filemaker inc. The latest version, FMP 10, has greatly enhanced capabilities and a significantly different user interface.

• 2. Re: Problem with relationships
            lkn4atlantis

Not sure what you mean by describe the fields. I don't know if they are stored or indexed.  And what do you mean by matching valid entries in both file's key fields? 

• 3. Re: Problem with relationships
              philmodjunk

Each relationship matches a field in file1 to a field in file2. (In newer versions, we describe matching fields between two tables which are usually in the same file.) These fields may be text, date, number, a calculation that returns text, date or number... The two key fields should both be the same basic type. (Though they may be either calculation or simple data fields.)

Select Define fields from the File menu and check out the options on these fields by double clicking them. On the storage tab you'll be able to see whether indexing is on/off. (For calculation fields, you'll see a button labeled "Storage Options" in the lower right corner of the specify calculation dialog.)

"...what do you mean by matching valid entries in both file's key fields? "

In your database you have two fields, one from each file that you've selected in the relationship definition that you've created.

Let's say you have a field called customer ID in both files that you've defined in this way.

If you have a record with 123 in Customer ID in file 1. Do you also have a record with 123 in the Customer ID field of file 2?

If you don't, you'll get blank empty related fields in a layout in file 1 that refers to related fields from file 2.

• 4. Re: Problem with relationships
                lkn4atlantis

Ok, I made sure both the fields have the exact same name and they are both text fields. Now it says file missing in the field in the browse mode. ??

• 5. Re: Problem with relationships
                  philmodjunk

The fields do not have to have the same name. I chose that in my example because this is frequently the case. Their defined field types should be compatible.

Re-open define relationships and update your relationship. I'm guessing you'll find a problem here and have to edit your relationship to fix it.

• 6. Re: Problem with relationships
                    lkn4atlantis

I deleted the old relationship and created a new relationship after I changed the names match. Otherwise, I don't really know what you mean by update the relationship. So now instead of nothing showing up at all now it says file missing.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Problem with relationships
                      philmodjunk
                         OK. Enter layout mode and double click the fields to select them using your new relationship. That should fix it.
                      • 8. Re: Problem with relationships
                        lkn4atlantis

Ok, I did that, now it's blank again. ??

• 9. Re: Problem with relationships
                          philmodjunk
                             Which returns us to the original questions: What are the field types? What data do you have in your key fields so that a record in file 2 will match the current record in file 1?
                          • 10. Re: Problem with relationships
                            lkn4atlantis
                               Both field types are text fields. The data I have in the field is either "X" "R" "L" or "R/L".
                            • 11. Re: Problem with relationships
                              philmodjunk

lkn4atlantis wrote:
                              Both field types are text fields. The data I have in the field is either "X" "R" "L" or "R/L".

You have two fields, one from each file specified in your relationship. Do you have records in the second file with "X", "R", "L" or "R/L" in that field?
                              • 12. Re: Problem with relationships
                                lkn4atlantis
                                   No, that's what I'm trying to do, get the information from File2 into File1.
                                • 13. Re: Problem with relationships
                                  philmodjunk

OK, now we are getting somewhere. The fields from file 2 will remain blank until an action on your part generates a record with a matching value in its key field.

Have you enabled "Allow creation of related records" for this relationship? If you don't know, open Define Value lists, select the relationship and click the edit button. A dialog box will pop up and you'll see a check box for this at the bottom of the dialog.

Once this option is enabled, simply start entering data into the other fields (not the key field) from file 2. Filemaker will automatically enter a matching value into the key field. (As long as it isn't a calculation field of course.)

That work?

• 14. Re: Problem with relationships
                                    lkn4atlantis

I'm not sure I follow you.

Yes, "allow creation of related records" was checked.

Just to be sure we are on the same page, File2 is the file I created the relationship in. File1 is the file that has the information that I want to show up in File2.

1 2 Previous Next