4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2012 9:24 AM by philmodjunk

Problems Connecting to database over a network

VeronicaScaiano

Title

Problems Connecting to database over a network

Hi,

I am running FileMaker Pro Advance 12.0 v2 on my PC.

I previously connected to my database, which was housed on a Linux file server, over the network with no problems.

Recently, we changed to a MAC Mini Server.  When I try to connect to my database which is now housed on the MAC, I am able to open the database and it runs for a couple minutes and then returns one of two messages

1. there is an error and the file needs to close. 

2.  Database is corrupt and needs to be recovered.

When I try and reconnect, the database says it was not closed properly and needs to do a consistency check but opens fine.  (Has never actually been corrupt). After a couple minutes the same thing occurs.  This makes using the database painful.

If I place the same database on my laptop, it runs fine with no errors.  I place it back on the server and the errors return.  If I leave the database on my PC, other users can only use it when I am in the office and I lose the nightly backup I have in place with the server. 

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Problems Connecting to database over a network
          schamblee

Have you ran Recover on the file?  Just because the error is not detected on one system doesn't mean the file is not corrupt.  The file could be corrupt and just isn't been detected on the other systems.   Always make a backup copy before you do anything.   If you have an older backup copy, then test this older backup and see if you get the error.   If you don't have a backup or you have a backup and still get the error then run recover on the file.   Test this file.  I have seen a corrupt file that require a recover to be ran then all the records were deleted (Save Copy As - Clone no records )and then the records were imported to the new blank recoverd file from the error file. These are suggested steps to run to rule out the the file is not corrupt.

• 2. Re: Problems Connecting to database over a network
            davidanders

Can ANY database be opened in your configuration.

Make a drop dead simple NEW database and test.

• 3. Re: Problems Connecting to database over a network
              philmodjunk

Have you tried recovering this file? It sounds like it is damaged.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
              3.           Recover does not detect all problems
              5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 4. Re: Problems Connecting to database over a network
                philmodjunk

And how are you opening that database from the server?

If you are using directly opening the fie from a shared directory instead of using Open Remote, that is one of the classic ways that you can damage a Filemaker Database file--particularly if there is more than one user accessing the file in this manner.