9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2013 4:39 AM by DavidHoffman

Problems converting from FP5/FP6 to FP12

DavidHoffman

Title

Problems converting from FP5/FP6 to FP12

I tried posting this earlier but can't see it. Perhaps I was in the wrong place, apologies if it appears twice.

Mac OS 10.6.8

FP5, FP6, FP11, FP12

Finding all Filemaker Pro DBs on a Mac:

I've been running FP6 on my Mac OS 10.6.8. I know I shouldn't ;-) but while it's a bit rough it has been functional. I've finally taken the plunge and bought FP12 and now need to convert my old files with FP11 and then again with FP12.

The problem I have is finding them. Some have the extension FP5 and I've found & successfully converted those.

There are still many (perhaps 50 - 100) old Filemaker files scattered around my drives that do not have the FP extension or anything helpful in the filename. In the old Mac days there was a CREATOR code that I could have used to search for these files but I see nothing in the Mac search options that will help me pull up these old Filemaker DBs. Does anyone know of a way that I can find these legacy files so that I can convert them?

If there is a quicker way than converting them one by one to FP11 and then reconverting them to FP12 then that would be a bonus!

As I need to use the trial version of FP11 in the process I only have 28 days left to do it. Any that I miss will be permanently stuck I think so I need to do a thorough job!

And now I have another problem - password protection.

My original DB made with FP6 was password protected. I removed the password protection before I converted to FP11 and I've checked that it then opened without a password in FP6. All fine.

I converted to FP11 with the trial and that still demanded a password when opened even though it had been removed from the DB before conversion. It wouldn't open with the account name and original password but some web research got me the information that the converted file account name would now be the old password. That worked and the DB opened with full access. I then converted to FP12 and that too opened with the old password as account and password.

Two hours later I try to open this DB and again get a password demand but now no combination of passwords and acounts will open it. I've repeated the process and done it again with a clone of the original. I've quit and restarted. None of this helps and I can't open this DB in its converted form as either FP11 or FP12.

Any suggestions please?

TIA

David Hoffman

• 1. Re: Problems converting from FP5/FP6 to FP12
          Jade

Hi David,

To find the missing files that do not have the .fp_ extension, try the "Content Creator" option. This will allow you to use the application that created the files as search criteria.

• Find (cmd-F)

• click on the "Kind" pop-up menu

• select "other…"

• scroll down the list to "Content Creater"

• click it's checkbox

• click "OK"

Try dragging a selection of old files onto the FMP icon to convert multiple files.

Did you try 'admin' with no password?

• 2. Re: Problems converting from FP5/FP6 to FP12
            DavidHoffman

Thanks Jade

What should I put into the 'content creator' 'matches' box? If I use "Filemaker" it finds the many pdf files that I have generated from Filemaker (via print as pdf) but it doesn't find the Filemaker DBs that I need.

I think I've solved the password problem by goping back to the original FP6 file, password protecting it with the old password and then doing the conversion using that p'word as account and p'word. Then when I get to the fp12 version I can modify the security as I wish. Seems OK now.

David

• 3. Re: Problems converting from FP5/FP6 to FP12
              Jade

Try searching with the criteria:

Kind is Other     FileMaker Document

• 4. Re: Problems converting from FP5/FP6 to FP12
                JimMac

I have the same situation.  When we bought FMP12 we were given FMP11 Free.  Call FM Sales.

pssssttttt... don't tell anyone but the Creator is the extension.surprise.  You can still hide the extension in Mac and use the Visual Icon to show KIND.

As screen resolutions became bigger and bigger, icon became small and smaller, plus it is easier to talk PDF, JPG, TIF, GIF in forums than Kinds, we now focus a bit more on words versus images.

Check the forum for the many times people encounterd the Password problem and the various solutions.

Jim...

• 5. Re: Problems converting from FP5/FP6 to FP12
                  DavidHoffman

I'll have loads of old FP5 DBs on backups so thanks for the tip re a free FP11 copy from sales. I'll give them a call.

The password trick for me was to leave the file protected until it was in FP12 and only then remove it. The 'admin/blank' solution and the p'word/p'word' solutions are documented but didn't work reliably for a legacy FP5 file after the p'word had been removed before conversion. Filemaker could document this better and should include it with new product.

David

• 6. Re: Problems converting from FP5/FP6 to FP12
                    philmodjunk

I wonder if that file might be damaged. You might try running a recover on it just to be safe.

When we upgraded from 5.5 to 10, I converted over 50 password protected files and password/password opened all of them so long as I used correct captitalization for the password. Older versions did not use case sensitive passwords like the newer versions, but upper case letters could be used to define the password in those older files so the original file didn't require capital letters where the converted file did.

• 7. Re: Problems converting from FP5/FP6 to FP12
                      DavidHoffman

Thanks Phil.Mostly I find damaged files just don't open but it might be a part of the earlier glitch when I removed p'word protection before I converted. The files opened fine (in the end) this morning but by late morning they insisted on a password and the correct one didn't work in any combination with user/blank/admin/p'word. It wasn'ta problem with case.

I threw it all away, restored the original password to the FP5 and converted again, opening with p'word/p'word. That seems to have worked - at least it's still working now.

David

• 8. Re: Problems converting from FP5/FP6 to FP12
                        philmodjunk

While file corruption involving security features usually produces a file that can neither be opened nor recovered successfully, there are many different ways that damage to a file can affect how the file behaves and sometimes there is NO visible indication that the file is damaged.

Files can be damaged and show no visible signs that they are damaged until some change brings about obvious behavior issues and failing to open is only one possible indicator. Converting older files, upgrading your OS to a new version, switching from Mac to windows or vice versa all have been known to reveal latent file corruption.

For that reason, I'd run a recover on these files as a precaution.

• 9. Re: Problems converting from FP5/FP6 to FP12
                          DavidHoffman

Thanks Phil, all seems fine but you're probably right. I'll run a recover on the important files after conversion. It seems more sensible to do the recover with current software rather than doing it before conversion with 10 year old technology.

Thanks to you all for your help in getting me up and running.

David