1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 2:23 PM by philmodjunk

Problems creating a layout that populates data in related tables

ShaneB

Title

Problems creating a layout that populates data in related tables

I am new to FMP and am facing significant issues creating layouts that meet my design needs. Below is the database schema:

I want to first create a layout that will enter can populate a number of fields in each of the database tables, but this is proving very challenging. I have set my first layout up like this:

But when I go to the Browse mode I am unable to select fields that are not on the "Observations" table. The Attriute and Content drop-down lists, which should be pulling information in from their tables, do not function. How do I go about creating a data-entry layout for these items while maintaining the logical data schema I want to use?

• 1. Re: Problems creating a layout that populates data in related tables
          philmodjunk

If you go to Manage | Database | Relationships and double click a relationship line between observations and one of the other Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?, you will then be able to go back to this field and enter data in fields from that table occurrence. You can, of course, repeat this for each of the other table occurrences.

BUT

You appear to be setting up one to many relationships where one observation record may be linked to multiple related records in each of the related tables. Your layout design will only permit you to create a single related record in each of the related tables and enter data into only the fields of that single related record.

You'll need a different layout design if you want to create a group of records from the same table that are all linked to the current observation record. The most commonly used layout object for that is a Portal and you can look up portal's in FileMaker Help and any training materials you may have to learn more about them.