9 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 12:57 AM by comment_1

Problems Creating Member Search Database

krislynch

Title

Problems Creating Member Search Database

Hello:

WHAT I'M USING:

I'm not exactly new to databases, but this is my first time setting one up through FileMaker Pro. I'm a new FileMaker Pro 11 user on the Snow Leopard Mac OS.

MY EXPERIENCE:

My prior database experience has been with SQL databases using MS Access, but I didn't really set it up from scratch - just administered to the updates by importing new versions of the XLS data, running through some processing and uploading the new MDB file via FTP. I also helped with setting up the PHP pages and although I'm hardly an expert, I can manage.

WHAT I NEED TO DO:

I have a membership database currently containing about 40 records. There are about 10 fields per record - name and contact information. I want to post this information on an existing web site (new page) and include a search field. I will need to style the new page to match the existing pages.

The database does not need to be 2-way and I don't want/expect visitors to touch the live database or modify it. The database will occasionally need to be updated and exported and uploaded.

I've looked at the documentation but it's really confusing me. It seems like it should be less complicated than what I'm seeing there.

Could someone please give me the basic steps to take to accomplish this? I need to get this done yesterday (literally) so I'm becoming frustrated.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Problems Creating Member Search Database
          comment_1

Visitors to your web site cannot use Filemaker to search if they are not logged in to your Filemaker solution. You would need to serve it using Filemaker (or preferably Filemaker Server). Hardly seems worth the trouble/expense in the circumstances.

The simple solution would be to export the data and use some other technology for the online search.

• 2. Re: Problems Creating Member Search Database
            krislynch

I don't want or need my visitors to use FileMaker on the web site. I just want to use FileMaker to organize and manage the data that will then be re-exported as necessary to the web site. The client already uses FileMaker Pro to manage changes to their database.

• 3. Re: Problems Creating Member Search Database
              comment_1

I am not sure I understand what the problem is then. If you find the records you want to include, sort them in the desired order and export them, you should be done - at least on the Filemaker side.

• 4. Re: Problems Creating Member Search Database
                krislynch

I need to understand how to get the data from FileMaker Pro onto the web into a searchable database. I need to set it up so I can update it regularly too, obviously.

• 5. Re: Problems Creating Member Search Database
                  comment_1

I am sorry, but I am having trouble understanding your question. You cannot produce "a searchable database" out of Filemaker. You can only export the data (as text or HTML file). If you have a web site with a database, you can then import the data into it.

Alternatively, you could set up the web database as an external data source in Filemaker and work with it directly.

• 6. Re: Problems Creating Member Search Database
                    krislynch

I'm very sorry I'm being confusing.

I want to export the data from FileMaker Pro to the Internet so I can create a search tool that will search the database. It will search the database that's been uploaded to the Internet. I then want to be able to update, re-export and upload the data from FMP as necessary so the data remains current.

In my previous experience with MS Access, I processed the data changes and then uploaded the new updated file as an MDB to an FTP location and then had a PHP page manage the search tool.

Everything I'm reading about FMP seems to assume I want to use FMP Server or have FMP remain involved on the Internet side of things. I just want to process the data properly to get it online in the best format for me to create search functionality to it.

• 7. Re: Problems Creating Member Search Database
                      comment_1

krislynch wrote:

Everything I'm reading about FMP seems to assume I want to use FMP Server or have FMP remain involved on the Internet side of things.

That's because most of what you want to does not involve Filemaker at all. It really depends on what's on the web side. You can upload the exported data, then log in to your web database manager tool and import it. Setting up the web database itself and the PHP to search it is another chapter altogether - and not in the Filemaker book.

• 8. Re: Problems Creating Member Search Database
                        krislynch

Hmmm...OK. I guess i was looking for help in term of what format i should save it out as and maybe help from someone who has set up something like this already.

I know what you're saying though so I'll see what I can find out. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Problems Creating Member Search Database
                          comment_1

No one can tell you what's the best export format to use without knowing what the target application can import. However, I'd be surprised if a simple tab-separated or comma-separated text file wouldn't work here.