4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2012 12:48 PM by LostInData

Problems Emailing My Customers from FileMaker Pro 11 Via  OS X Mail

LostInData

Title

Problems Emailing My Customers from FileMaker Pro 11 Via  OS X Mail

Hi,

This is a newby question I guess, but I am struggling. I have a couple of hundred customer email addresses that I want to send a promotional email to. Everyone has agreed to getting the occasional email from me, so there's no problem there. Each email will have a smallish attachment (a graphic).

I have worked out how to get a decent plain text email produced by FM, and it attaches the graphic, sends the job to Mail and Mail starts sending the emails. This is where the problem starts.

Mail cannot send the emails fast enough, and when the outbox gets to something like sixty emails Mail just hangs. 

My question is, short of getting an SMTP server (I have no idea how that's done), is there any way to manage the process better from my own Mac, so that it all works smoothly?

Thanks, Phill

• 1. Re: Problems Emailing My Customers from FileMaker Pro 11 Via  OS X Mail
          philmodjunk

Is each recipient getting the same exact email? If so, you can use the BCC field and send out just one email to many recipients.

Otherwise, you might try building a short pause into your script to slow down how fast the emails are created and sent.

Pause/Resume is a script step that can pause your script for a specified number of seconds.

Also be aware that some ISP's have built in checks for the outgoing volume of email that will result in your emails being interrupted after a certain number of emails have been sent out. You may need to check and see if you are exceeding any such ceiling.

• 2. Re: Problems Emailing My Customers from FileMaker Pro 11 Via  OS X Mail
            LostInData

Hi, and thanks for the input. I am not using a script as far as I know, just the inbuilt emaling function in FM. That said, yes a way of slowing things down would probably stop Mail collapsing under the strain. 

The issue does not seem to be an ISP one.

If I were to use a script, do I do so inconjunction with the built-in emailing function in FM, or is a script something quite separate?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Problems Emailing My Customers from FileMaker Pro 11 Via  OS X Mail
              philmodjunk

You'd need to invest some time in learning how to create scripts in FileMaker.

The send mail script step is nearly identical to selecting send mail from the file menu, but you'll still need to learn how to set up a looping script to loop through your records, sending out one email at a time or small groups at a time with a built in pause to see if it makes a difference.

This is assuming that you can't use the Blind Carbon Copy box to send out your emails.

• 4. Re: Problems Emailing My Customers from FileMaker Pro 11 Via  OS X Mail
                LostInData

I am going to take your advice and get into scripts. I have actually written some simple ones in the past (for auto-inserting routine notes into invoices etc.) and am starting to get the hang of it. I think that if I can write a script that pauses after, say, thirty emails with attachments are created I think it will stop Mail hanging due to the load.

Once I have that sorted out I will look again at your help on formatting the context of the email.

Thanks again for your help.