4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 12:34 PM by Boltonjohn

Problems importing records

Boltonjohn

Title

Problems importing records

Whenever I try to import records into two smaller databases from my main database, immediately after I click the import button disc icons start appearing on the desk top for photo-related programs. The two most common are for Photoshop elements, iphotoBorderFX and Helicon focus. Not just one icon but as many as fifteen duplicated icons for each program. The latest attempt produced five disc icons (see attached screenshot). I have used the Recover function on both files and no faults are found.

Anyone with any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Screen_Shot_2014-11-06_at_01.18.26.png

• 1. Re: Problems importing records
          philmodjunk

Are you running a script to import the records or doing an import by selecting that option from the File menu?

Am I correct that you are using a Mac system? Which release version of the OS?

When did this behavior start? Is there any change to your OS or database that took place at that time?

Assuming that this is a Mac system, if you select the icon and use get info to check it's properties, what does that tell you about what these icons are?

If this is a script, you might need to post that script.

To post a script to the forum:

1. You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post a New Answer.
          3. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
          5. If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          7. If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.
          • 2. Re: Problems importing records
            Boltonjohn
            Phil
            Thanks for the help
            I am using the import command from the File Menu.
            I am using 10.9.4
            The problem started four or five days ago. I change the databases on a daily level, mainly putting new layouts in that I use for a few days and get rid of once that particular job is finished.
            The icons seem to be the full-blown program downloads. for example the icon for Photoshop elements says it is 1.45 gb.
            The problem occurs on all three of my FM databases although the smaller two are clones of the larger one but with much fewer records. I have tried using recover on all three files and it reports no errors. I have downloaded and installed the latest version of FM 12 (12.0.v5) and the problem persists. If I create a new database with just a few dummy fields, the problem does not yet occur.
            The problem lies within the database which is doing the importing. The icons appear immediately I click the import button, and before I have selected the file to be imported from.
            The obvious assumption is that the problem is photo related because all three of the icons that appear are photo handling programmes.

Best wishes
            • 3. Re: Problems importing records
              philmodjunk

Even though recover does not report an error, even if you use the recovered copies of the files, this is no guarantee that the file is not damaged. A damaged file is still a possibility and the fact that a brand new file does not show this result strongly suggests that possibility.

Do you have any old back up copies of your file?

But what you describe here is really bizarre. if you were using 10.10, I'd suspect an issue with the latest OS release. But since you aren't, I don't have anything else to suggest besides reporting this over in Report an Issue to see if the TS persons that monitor that part of the forum know something we don't.

• 4. Re: Problems importing records
                Boltonjohn

I will do a recovery from Time Machine and see what's what. I had a web chat with FM support this afternoon and he was as baffled as I am. I have VERY slow broadband and have not spoken to him since I downloaded the latest version of FM12 so he does not know the problem is still there.