1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 9:12 AM by ninja

Problems printing a Unique Invoice ID# in FMPro 11 using Invoice Template

KFMFox

Title

Problems printing a Unique Invoice ID# in FMPro 11 using Invoice Template

Hello,

I have a problem printing a unique Invoice ID# using the Invoice Template from the Starter Solutions that is included in FMPro 11 (11.0 v1) for the Mac (Mac OS X 10.6.3). 

I am able to change the Invoice ID # (e.g. to "227-0007") when I am in browse mode in the Record Detail-Invoices view; however, when I attempt to print the invoice, it changes back to the default ID# (i.e. Invoice ID # 1).

I am a novice FMPro/database.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 1. Re: Problems printing a Unique Invoice ID# in FMPro 11 using Invoice Template
          ninja

Howdy K FM Fox,

I don't have FMP11, but I notice a red flag that is not FMP11 specific.

Unique ID#'s are the backbone of a relational database.  Changing them allows a human to make them non-unique...this is very bad juju.  They shouldn't be changed...period.

If you want a field to print a number that you make up ("227-0007" for example), create a new "Invoice #" field, put it on your layout and enter your number into that.  It will print right, won't revert (unless you tell it to), and you will not risk breaking the links that rely on the unique ID#.

This is one of those "Doctor, it hurts when I do this...."        Doctor: "Then don't do that"       situations.

If anything, I am glad that the starter solution has a protection on the UniqueID field that prohibits you from inadvertantly messing up your relationships.