4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 10:18 AM by davidanders

Problems when sharing file between PC and Mac

teclo

Title

Problems when sharing file between PC and Mac

Hello,

I have developed a FileMaker 12 database on my PC that is stored on a common server. When my colleague opens the document on his Mac (note: not through network sharing, but simply opening the file, meaning we can't work with the file simultaneously), almost everything works smoothly. Almost.

I have three charts on my dashboard, all created with the ExecuteSQL function. ONE of these three charts does not display properly on the Mac, it shows the feared SQL questionmark, and the other axis looks like what you get when you forget to change to delimited data. Everything looks ok to me and as I said, it works on PC. One of the other charts is created with the same principle and from the same table and that works just fine.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Problems when sharing file between PC and Mac
          philmodjunk

The method that you are using to "share" your file risks damaging it. It is much safer to open the file with either FileMaker Pro or Server on the computer where the file is located and then other users use "Open Remote" to access the file. If you should both try to open the file at the same time, file corruption might be the result. There is a very small chance that this is why your Mac user is getting the question mark as sometimes file damage affects the file more obviously on one OS than the other.

Assuming that the file is NOT damaged, it would help if we could see the actual SQL expression. I'm not aware of anything in the SQL that would be different on Macs than Windows but right now all we know is that you have a question mark result.

Are these charts FileMaker chart objects? Or is the "chart" a table format display of the SQL results? If it's the latter, what happens if you click into the field?

• 2. Re: Problems when sharing file between PC and Mac
            teclo

Thanks for your swift reply. I know this sharing solution isn't the best one, but I couldn't get the "open remote"-solution to work at first. I will look into that again.

The charts are FileMaker chart objects. SQL expression:

x-axis

ExecuteSQL(
                 "
                 SELECT DISTINCT (\"calculated_date_field\")
                 FROM \"TableOccurrence 2\"
                 GROUP BY \"calculated_date_field\"
                 "
                 ;"" ;¶ )

y-axis

ExecuteSQL(
                 "
                 SELECT count (*)
                 FROM \"TableOccurrence 2\"
                 GROUP BY \"calculated_date_field\"
                 ORDER BY \"calculated_date_field\"
                 "
                 ;"" ;¶ )

where "calculated_date_field" is a calculated field displaying the Year= from another date field, and TableOccurrence 2 is just that... a table occurrence of my main table.

• 3. Re: Problems when sharing file between PC and Mac
              philmodjunk

Sharing has to be enabled for both the file and the copy of FIleMaker that will host the file.

Sorry, but these are very simple SQL queries and I don't see anything that would suggest any possible issue with Mac vs. Windows OS.

Have you tried defining these calculations as calculation fields? Do both show the syntax error question mark?

By any chance is Table Occurrence 2, a reference to a table in a different file? (Such can be set up with an external data source reference.) That's the only thing I can think of as an external data source might be valid from the context of your computer and invalid from the context of your fellow user.