8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 8:13 AM by philmodjunk

Problems while trying to copy an object in FM 12

JoakimDreier

Title

Problems while trying to copy an object in FM 12

Greetings.

I've encountered a problem With an older database that's been used for several years now (its converted from previous Versions), its current incarnation is for FM 12.

The database contains a lot of scanned files, as well as text, resulting in a rather large database (referred to at DB hereafter).

The error code which shows when copy'n paste of an object is attempted is "The operation cannot be completed because it would exceed the maximum allowed dimensions of a layout".

This does however for a single user, or the server administrator when he directly runs FM from the server.

however all other users are unable to use the copy'n paste function of an object. We've attempted to copy the temporarily FM files generated from one profile to another without it resulting in any success.

There is nothing that differs between the users, yet one can do it, the other can't. We've attempted to do this on several other layouts on the DB without any different result. We've created a new empty DB (however its located locally instead of on a server) which the copy function works for the other users. Thus we can make a guess that the issue is related to that specific DB.

I'm suspecting it might be because of the database size, or its gone corrupt however I can't say for certain, I simply lack the experience and knowledge of the inner workings of FM 12 to make a conclusion, thus why am extending my hope that a experienced user can assist me with the potential directions to look for a plausible cause for this.. bizarre issue.

Thanks you for your time.

• 1. Re: Problems while trying to copy an object in FM 12
          philmodjunk

It is not clear to me what exactly it is that you are copying and why. It's extremely unusual to allow general user to modify layout designs yet that seems to be what you are describing here.

• 2. Re: Problems while trying to copy an object in FM 12
            JoakimDreier

My apology, i believe I’ve been a bit unclear on the matter.

I'm not the admin user; rather I’m an IT-tech who's assisting the admin with finding the cause of the error.

There's only 2 people with access to edit the layout of the database, it works for the assistant, but not for the primary user (admin) experiences the earlier mentioned error when he attempts to copy an object, (a box) on the layout, to another area on the same layout.

Basically, whenever you try to copy an object within the layout, to another location the error is produced.

It's only related to that database, and it’s only triggered if you copy a object (rather than just copying the text in the box, if you copy an object all the data related to that object comes along, that apparently fails somehow). the clip-board does appear to function however, as copying pure text, without any data connected to it, works just fine.

It seems the source of the problem is related to the specific DB somehow.

• 3. Re: Problems while trying to copy an object in FM 12
              philmodjunk

It does sound like the file may be corrupted. You might use recover to check your file for damage. 

Unless the error you are referring to is the one that occurs when you paste too close to the bottom edge of the layout and FileMsker offers to enlarge the layout. It might not offer to enlarge if you have already maxed the size of the layout. 

• 4. Re: Problems while trying to copy an object in FM 12
                JoakimDreier

We've already made attempts with the recovery.

As for corruption in general, why would it work on one computer (and a spesific computer/AD profile) no matter what FM user is used.

It's a strange issue which i can't find the root cause for, but i suspect it might be something with the generated files for FM on that profile, but copying the 3 files i know FM generates from the working profile to another pc, didn't work.

And the errors's not related to the size of the layout, we've tried different layout, including a nearly empty one in that DB.

Thank you for your assistance so far, it's appreciated.

• 5. Re: Problems while trying to copy an object in FM 12
                  ChrisC_3

I haven't ran into this problem myself but it might be worth checking weather the solution doesn't happen to have several variations (of different sizes) of the same layout that loads in via script depending of the device and resolution the user is attempting to access the database with.

Edit:

And the errors's not related to the size of the layout, we've tried different layout, including a nearly empty one in that DB.

I missed that part, unfortunately I don't have any other ideas at the moment.

• 6. Re: Problems while trying to copy an object in FM 12
                    philmodjunk

It is quite possible for a corrupted file to work normally for one user and not another.

It is unusual, but not impossible for recover to fail to find the problem with the file--especially if a particular layout is damaged.

But what I was saying about the size of the layout is that if you try to paste an object too close to the bottom edge of the layout, it's quite common to get an error message--but not the one you have been quoting. However, many posters are translating from another language and that can result in a less than perfect description of the error message. Thus, I was checking to see if such a miscommunication was happening here.

If this were the cause of the problem, you should be able to click near the top of your layout, paste, and then drag to position the pasted object to the desired location. This might be an issue for one user and not another due to small differences in how they interacted with the layout immediately prior to pasting the copied object (as this can specify a different location on the layout for the pasted object.)

• 7. Re: Problems while trying to copy an object in FM 12
                      espen.alsing@crayon.com

As an update to Joakim's problem:

This problem seem to occur when:
                      You have a fmp12-file hosted by FMS12, accessed by WinXP FMP12.0.3 Clients over IP network and;
                      the file is large
                      the file contains at least one containerfield

The error can be reproduced this way:
                      open file - browse mode - (first record has an empthy containerfield)
                      enter  Layout
                      copy an item
                      paste the item -  it Works as it should

enter to Browse
                      go to a record With a scanned file in the container Field (scanned and saved as .pdf)
                      enter Layout
                      copy an item
                      paste the item - BOOOOOM!  Error as discribed in original post.

It is actually the "paste" command failing, as the content of the clipboard may be pasted to e.g. Notepad.

Quitting FileMaker Pro and opening the same file again will fix the problem until the user visit a record / layout with the Container-Field.

This behavior is consistant and reprodusable, so now we know what causes the problem. Next step is to solve it....

Any ideas, anyone?

• 8. Re: Problems while trying to copy an object in FM 12
                        philmodjunk

Short of upgrading either the computer operating system or FileMaker, I doubt that there is a fix. But you can certainly report this as a bug over in Report an Issue to see what the FileMaker techs that monitor that section of the forum have to say about this. To save typing, you can post a link to this thread there.