1 2 3 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 11:49 AM by philmodjunk

problems with checkbox sorts

imgaryshap

Title

problems with checkbox sorts

Hello -

I'm a filemaker pro 8 (MAC) user.  novice / intermediate level.

Here are the fields I'm working with:

- Title

- Genre (checkbox field contains separate options).

A Titles can work for multiple networks (i.e. - For Title "TV SHOW 1"  -you can check "Science" "Adventure" "Children" in the Genre Field.

When I sort by Genre, I want the Title to show up under each Sub-Summary report.  (so for the above example - I want to see:

Science:

TV SHOW 1

Adventure:

TV SHOW 1

Children:

TV SHOW 1

This is not happening.

any ideas?

I've looked at other forum explanations, and have not found a suitable and clearly understandable solutions.

Thanks for your help!

-Gary

• 1. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
          davidanders

I want to see....

What DO you see??? 

• 2. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
            imgaryshap

It's what I don't see.  so if a Title has more than one checkbox checked.   it will only show up in the report under the first one checked.  so in my example, I see this:

Science:

TV SHOW 1

Adventure:

Children:

Also - I have a Genre Count summary.  

If one of my titles has multiple checkboxes set in the genre field, my subsummary genre count becomes flawed and remains blank.

• 3. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
              philmodjunk

It looks like you have one record with multiple "Genre" values selected in your checkbox field. That, as you've discovered, won't work as your report is trying to list the same record in mutiple locations.

You'll need to set up a related "Genre" table instead of check boxes. Then you can base your summary report on the Genre table and sort by Genre with the titles from your main table displayed in the sub summary parts. Look up "portal" in Filemaker's Help system for a simple method of replacing your check box field with a portal.

• 4. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
                imgaryshap
                   whats the point of checkboxes then?
                • 5. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
                  philmodjunk
                     Checkboxes are extremely useful in many ways. I use them in nearly every DB I create. It's just not the best approach in your situation.
                  • 6. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
                    imgaryshap

so when i create a "Genre" table - what next?   does every genre listed in the one checkbox field need to have it's own field in the new table?

i'll read up on portals as well, but any advice is most helpful.

thanks!

• 7. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
                      philmodjunk

You'll only need two fields in the Genre table:

FilmID

Genre

In your relationships graph link the tables

MainTable::FilmID = GenreTable::FilmID

(FilmID could be your film title, but a serial number field is a better choice.)

Double click this relationship line and enable the "create" and "delete" options on the GenreTable side of the relationship.

Place just the GenreTable::Genre field in your portal and format the field with either a drop down list or pop-up menu of your Genre types.

Then you can assigne Genre types to a movie by selecting each desired genre type in different rows of this portal.

Now you can base your report on the GenreTable instead of your main table, but add the fields from your Main Table to sub-summary parst "sorted by" GenreTable:::FilmID to get the report you want.

• 8. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
                        imgaryshap

thanks for this info.  sorry to be so obtuse on this - portals are new to me.

can you clarify this for me when you say:  "Place just the GenreTable::Genre field in your portal and format the field with either a drop down list or pop-up menu of your Genre types.  Then you can assigne Genre types to a movie by selecting each desired genre type in different rows of this portal."

i'm not following this.

tell me if I'm wrong:

- i add a portal on my layout.

- i then drag the field i currently have containing the genre checkboxes into the portal.

- i then change that field to be a drop down list or a pop-up menu, instead of being checkboxes.

if i do that, i'm not understanding how a user can select more than one genre per title.

• 9. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
                          philmodjunk

Place your portal on your layout. The wizard that pops up will allow you to select GenreTable as the source of record you want for your portal.

It will then list the two fields that are defined in this table. Select Genre as the field you want.

After clicking OK to dismiss the portal, select the Genre table and use Field/Control setup to format it as either a drop down list or a pop up menu--either option works. Specify a value list that lists all your genre types.

Let's say your film is "Toy Story" and you want to assign it to both Children and Fantasy genres:

In the first row of the portal, click on the field and select "Children".

On the second row, click on the same field and select "Fantasy".

Make sense?

• 10. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
                            imgaryshap
                               it does make sense, except the field is totally blank...
                            • 11. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
                              imgaryshap

sorry - fixed the blank problem...

let me see what i can do here and if my sort works.

thanks so much.

• 12. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
                                philmodjunk

Keep in mind that you now have to set up your layout so that it refers to the Genre table instead of your main table of film records. Enter layout mode and use Layout Setup... to switch the layout over to GenreTable. You can now set up report like this:

--SubSummary when sorted by GenreTable::Genre

Genre

--body---

MainTable::Filmtitlefield

Sort your records by Genre and you'll see what you want.

• 13. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
                                  imgaryshap

the entire layout has to refer to the Genre table, not just the subsummary part?

right now - this isn't working.

To use the toy story example - i select Children.  great.  next row pops up.  I select fantasy.  it reverts it to Children.  so my column looks like this:

Children

Children

I click out of the portal - it all disappears, except for the first row, so it only looks like this:

Children

• 14. Re: problems with checkbox sorts
                                    imgaryshap

other than that - everything you've taught me so far is spot on!!!

1 2 3 Previous Next