1 2 3 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 11:32 AM by BarryFass-Holmes

Problems with container field, displaying count of unique records, and displaying unique records

BarryFass-Holmes

Title

Problems with container field, displaying count of unique records, and displaying unique records

I have the following problems in building a four-table relational database for tracking students with academic difficulties.

• demographics

• academics

• email addresses

• notes

Each student has a unique ID number. Each of the last three tables above is related to the first; ID is the key field.
      The second table can have multiple records per student. The other tables each has one record per student.

The database problems are as follows.

1. container field—I made a container field (“documents”) in the demographics table, then placed that field on a layout which is based upon the demographics table (but also has fields from the other three tables). After right-clicking the container field in Browse mode, nothing happens; instead, a contextual menu should display with options for inserting various types of files (per FileMaker Help). The container field is not locked in the layout.

What do I need to do differently to get the container field to behave as expected when right-clicked?

How do the database’s user(s) add multiple documents to this container field per student record? FileMaker Help does not explain this. I searched the web for an answer, found several postings in which respondents said to build a separate related table (via ID) for the container field, and then put it in a portal on the layout. I tried this without success; right-clicking the container field in Browse mode did not display a contextual menu.

BTW: This same layout has four other portals with text fields, all of which behave properly and as expected. Also, contextual menus otherwise behave properly and as expected in the same layout; only the container field misbehaves.

2. display a count of the number of unique records in a list layout—I built a List View layout (for reporting purposes) in conjunction with a script to display records of the students with academic trouble. However, some of the students have multiple records in the academics table (because they were in academic trouble more than once). After following the instructions posted in FileMaker Support (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3423/~/counting-the-number-of-unique-values-in-a-field) for counting the number of unique records in a table's field, the summary field displays a question mark rather than the number of unique records.

How can I troubleshoot this so that the summary field displays the number of unique records?

3. display unique records in a list layout—I built a List View layout (for reporting purposes) in conjunction with a script to display one record for each of the students who are in academic trouble more than once. After modifying the script so that it does display only one record for each of these students (based upon search criteria), one student still has two records in the list.

Here is the script.

Enter Browse Mode

New Window [ ]

Go to Layout [ “Probation repeaters rpt” (academics) ]

View As[ View as List ]

Sort Records [ Specified Sort Order: demographics::visa; ascending demographics::name; ascending ] [ Restore; No dialog ]

Enter Find Mode [ ] 

Set Field [ academics::ID; "!" ]

Set Error Capture [ On ]

Perform Find [ ] 

#Exclude EAP Ss

Constrain Found Set [ ]

Set Field [ demographics::apptype; "EAPR" ]

Set Error Capture [ On ]

Omit Record

Perform Find [ ]

Enter Find Mode [ ]Set Field [ academics::acad stat; "PR2" ]

Set Error Capture [ On ]

Perform Find [ ]

Move/Resize Window [ Current Window; Width: 820; Left: 650 ]

Sort Records [ Specified Sort Order: demographics::name; ascending ][ Restore; No dialog ]

Go to Record/Request/Page[ First ]

The two records are identical except for one field. If I add a step for that specific field to exclude one of the records, I anticipate that in the future (after I add future students' records to the database) when this situation occurs again, the added step will not be useful. Instead, I would rather exclude one of the records based upon ID.

How can I exclude one of the two records belonging to this student based upon ID?

Many thanks in advance!

1 2 3 Previous Next