AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problems with database design, Laboratory Notebook

Question asked by LuukvanSummeren on Jun 20, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 22, 2013 by LuukvanSummeren

Title

Problems with database design, Laboratory Notebook

Hey All,

I have been using filemaker for the last two years to keep a lot of data organized. Last week I started a new project, my own laboratory notebook. I'm working as a chemist and to keep track of my experiments and results so i use a lab notebook. In the past i used a commercially availible solution for this, but this software is no longer being sold as a single licence (the company changed to a server client system starting from 100 users) and also Mac OS is not being supported. So i thought lets use filemaker to store the things i want to store. But im running into some problems on the database design.

the tables i have so far:

Experiments (this table has al the information about the experimental procedure)
     Analysis (contains the analytical data of a specific experiment
     Compounds (a table containing all the compounds i use withe their physical data)
     Chemicals (The link between an experiment and a compounds used)
     Products (Contains the data of a specific attempt to make a compound)

the problem im running into is that both chemicals and products have a link to experiments and compounds and file maker doesnt like this.

This is the first time im trying to make such a complicated solution, before i only made simple systems with one or two relationships.

So all your comments and input are very helpfull

Thanx in advance
     Luuk

Outcomes