1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 12:57 PM by philmodjunk

Problems with filemaker sharing - advice please

appt

Title

Problems with filemaker sharing - advice please

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone from FM (TSGal perhaps) might come along and be able to help on this one because it is not strictly a technical issue.

I have been designing software for school to use on iPads for over a year now. We have our solutions in several local schools and they are loving them.

However in my own school the story is very different. The IT manager hates Macs and hates me too. 

We have a solution that helps record progress of our year 9 students which is used by the staff in my department.  The school uses something called KAMAR for it's student management system, which is basically a FM database running on FM Server.

Since the IT manager will not let me put the solution on the server we worked around it by using the sharing option and leaving a Mac laptop running in our office.

The IT people have now told us that because the database is open all the time (password protected) it is causing the school network to be bombarded with viruses! We have now been told we have to remove it. I'd love to put it on the school server but they have told me they want full Admin rights to my solution.

So there are 2 questions.

1. Is it possible that a FM solution running from the desktop of a Mac using FM network sharing could attract viruses?

2. Is it normal to have to give full Admin rights to a solution to an IT manager and if so what would be the value to them. If there is a problem they can just close it right?

Any answers, especially 'official' ones gratefully received.

Andy

• 1. Re: Problems with filemaker sharing - advice please
          philmodjunk

1. NO and this is ridiculous. But if your users are uploading files to this solution, it's not impossible that files being uploaded by users are infected. I suggest that you ask them to document the incidents and prove that they are coming from your Mac. It may be that they are trying to argue that because your COMPUTER is up all the time it is somehow more accessible to malware, but if the computer is behind a firewall, that also seems pretty silly.

2, Someone besides yourself SHOULD, dare I say MUST have admin rights. If you were run over by a bus, was fired suddenly or otherwise no longer available, there needs to be a way for the school to hand over access to the DB and the server to another developer. I've seen several posts here to the effect of: "Our FileMaker person is no longer with the company and no one can open the file to make design changes..."

Whether you have to give them developer level access to the database file or not, Admin access to the server admin console would seem a reasonable thing for IT to require of you.