12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 11:04 AM by philmodjunk

Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part

AAgraphics

Title

Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part

Using FMP 10 on PC and MAC

I have a table that lists all of the projects.  This is the main table.  There are two other tables, one table for vendors and one table for licenses.  The vendors table is related to the projects table and the licenses table is related to the projects table.

The project table shows all of the details for the project, including who the vendor is, about four key details of the vendor and what license is used and about four key details of the license.

I have a layout that shows all of the details for the vendor.  This is shown in the header part of the layout.  Then, I want the "sub-summary part" to be the projects that are assigned to this vendor and the "body part" to list a few key details for all of these projects.  In the body, I only want to show the projects that are assigned to this vendor.  How do I make this happen?  I created the layout, but it is not showing the correct information in the body.

I have another layout that shows all of the details for the license.  This is shown in the header part of the layout.  Then, I want the "sub-summary part" to be the projects that use this specific license and the "body part" to list a few key details for all of these projects.  In the body, I only want to show the projects that are assigned to this license.  How do I make this happen?  I created the layout, but it is not showing the correct information in the body.

If this confusing, please let me know.  Thank you! 

• 1. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
          philmodjunk

In both cases, your report layout should refer to the Projects table. (Check this by bringing up Layout Setup...)

Then you should be able to place fields from projects in the body and fields from the related table in the sub-summary part. Designate a break (Sort by) field that correctly groups your Project records into sub summary groups, sort on this field and you should see this happen for you. (If you are using a version of Filemaker older than FMP 10, the sub-summary parts will only be visible in preview mode or when you print/PDF the report.)

• 2. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
            AAgraphics

PhilModJunk,

I am using FMP 10.  With your recommendations, I have everything working, except for one thing:

The body portion only lists one project record for each vendor instead of listing all of the projects for that vendor.  Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
              philmodjunk

I can read that two ways:

Vendor 1  (sub Summary part)

Project 1 (Body)

Vendor 1

Project 2

or:

Vendor 1

Project 1

Vendor 2

Project 1

Which are you getting? Are you sure your layout is based on Projects--not Vendors?

• 4. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
                AAgraphics

Layout is definitely based on Projects.  It says there are 76 records in this layout, because right now there are 76 projects.

What I want is: 

-Vendor 1 (sub Summary Part)

-list of projects associated with vendor listed above (Body)

What I am getting is:

-Vendor 1 (sub Summary Part)

-only one project associated with vendor listed above (Body)

Also, I want a button to advance to the next vendor and have the vendor information change to the next vendor and the body to then be updated and show the projects associated with that vendor.  How do I accomplish this if the layout is based on projects? 

• 5. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
                  philmodjunk

Two details to check:

1. Make sure that your fields in the body part are completely within the boundaries of the body. If even one pixel is located in the sub-summary part, it will be treated as part of the sub summary.
                  2. Make sure you have sorted your found set of records correctly to group your records by vendor. If you have all 70+ project records in the found set, where do the other Project records appear?

Do the rest of what you describe, you can write a script that finds all project records related to a given vendor. A variation of this technique can be used to step you through your project records one group at a time. If you only want to see one vendor's projects at a time, you can get rid of the sub-summary part and move the vendor fields into the header.

• 6. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
                    AAgraphics

1)  All fields are within their respective layout parts.

2)  The Records are sorted by vendor

When I view the layout it shows the vendor and in the body, it still only shows one project, it does not list all of the projects associated with the vendor.  Any other ideas?  When I go to the next vendor, the vendor information remains the same, but the project in the body changes.  The vendor does not change until the project that is listed is for a different vendor, then the vendor changes.

So I am still having the problem where it is only showing one project at a time. 

• 7. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
                      philmodjunk
                         Is your report set to Form view or list view? It should be set to List view.
                      • 8. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
                        AAgraphics

I apologize for the simple question, but here it goes:

How do I set the report to list view? 

• 9. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
                          AAgraphics

In Layout Setup under "Views" each of the three following selections has a check in the check box:

Form View

List View

Table View 

• 10. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
                            philmodjunk

Yeah, but you can only use one view at a time in browse mode.

At the bottom edge of your tool bar, there are three buttons for Form, List and table view. Only one can be selected at a time. Which have you selected?

You can tell which is which by the tool tip that pops up when you point your mouse at it. Click the one you want in browse mode or you can go back to Layout Setup... and clear the Form and table selections.

• 11. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
                              AAgraphics

Thank you!  It is now working as you described.

Vendor 1 Details

-List of all of Vendor 1 Projects

Vendor 2 Details

-List of all of Vendor 2 Projects

Etc...

How do I get the layout to just show:

Vendor 1 Details

-List of all of Vendor 1 Projects

• 12. Re: Problems with Layout and Sub-Summary Part
                                philmodjunk

Perform a find specifying Vendor 1.

You mentioned wanting to see one Vendor at a time. Here's a couple of Ideas. YOu can specify a page break for the sub summary part so that each vendor starts a new page.

You can show all vendor records in a different layout based on vendor. Write a "next vendor" script:

Go to Layout ["VendorList " (Vendor)]

If [Get (recordNumber) = Get (foundcount) /* on last record */]

Go To layout [original layout]

Show custom dialog ["There are no more vendors"]

Else

Go to Record [Next]

Set Variable [$VendorID; Vendor::VendorID]

Go to layout [original layout]

Enter find mode[]

set field [Projects::vendorID; $VendorID]

#If there are other criteria to specify, store the criteria in global fields and add more set field steps here

Set Error capture [on]

Perform Find[]

sort[restore; no dialog]

End if