1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 9:48 AM by philmodjunk

Problems with New Record button

JerryHolt

Title

Problems with New Record button

Much gratitiude to anyone who can help me with this problem.  In Browse-List Mode, I hit the New Record Button and it takes me to random places in the form I created.  Also, when I scroll through the records it will take me to the wrong record.  For example, I request to go to record 4 and it will usually take me to record 1 or 2.  Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

• 1. Re: Problems with New Record button
          philmodjunk

Enter layout mode and double click your new record button. What options have been specified for the button? If it performs a script, please post a copy of that script.

Exactly what steps are your using to go to "go to record 4". And what does the 4 stand for? Is this the 4th record in the current found set or the record's ID number?

To post a script to the forum:

1. You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
          2. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here.
          3. If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          4. If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format. (Use the HTML option on the database tab panel and paste the text into the forum's HTML editor.)
          • 2. Re: Problems with New Record button
            JerryHolt

The New Record Button is the default one at the top of the screen.  When there is only one record and I hit New Record it will take me to a new record.  However, after there are two records and I hit New Record, it will create a new record but take me to the middle of the first record I created.

• 3. Re: Problems with New Record button
              philmodjunk

Where is your cursor when you click this button?

Does the particular field in which you have it make a difference?

• 4. Re: Problems with New Record button
                JerryHolt

I scroll through the records using the arrows circled on the top left.  I would like to be able to scroll in a way that each time I hit the arrow key it takes me to the top of the selected record.

• 5. Re: Problems with New Record button
                  philmodjunk

When you create a new record, FileMaker should move the cursor to the first field in the layout's specified tab order. You can enter layout mode and select Set Tab Order... from the layouts menu to see what field is first in the tab order and also to change the tab order.

WHen you click through the fields, you should find that your cursor stays in the same field as it was in the first record before you started clicking this control.

BUT:

In both cases, script triggers set on the layout or fields in the layout can modify what happens. OnRecordLoad on the layout (see layout setup...) or OnObjectEnter, OnObjectExit on a particular field could all perform scripts that move the cursour to a different field.

• 6. Re: Problems with New Record button
                    JerryHolt

When I have the cursor in different places it affects the way the program navigates through the records.  It appears to be random.  Sometimes the record displayed won't change as I scroll through records.

• 7. Re: Problems with New Record button
                      JerryHolt

I had already set the Tab Order.  The Cursor sill stay in the same Tab #.  For example if the cursor is in Tab #1 in Record 1 it will then go to Tab #1 of Record 2.  However, the screen does not follow where the cursor is.

• 8. Re: Problems with New Record button
                        JerryHolt

Also of note, when there are only two total records, it navigates perfectly.  When there is only one record, and I create a second, it creates the record and goes right to the top of second record like it is supposed to.

• 9. Re: Problems with New Record button
                          philmodjunk

I think that you are describing how the window scrolls rather than the location of the cursor. Is that correct?

• 10. Re: Problems with New Record button
                            JerryHolt

That's correct, it scrolls to random places when I move from record to record or try to create a new record.

• 11. Re: Problems with New Record button
                              philmodjunk

Any reason why you have this layout in List View? I think that Form View will work better for you as your layout is only large enough to view one complete record at a time anyway.

• 12. Re: Problems with New Record button
                                JerryHolt

I run into the same problems in Form View. Also, I can't figure out how to move the cursor from field to field with the Tab button in Form View.  In Form view the Tab button changes the record number whereas in List mode the Tab button moves the cursor from field to field.

• 13. Re: Problems with New Record button
                                  philmodjunk

In form view, you only see one record at a time so this will not be the same problem if the issue is how the window scrolls.

What you describe with regards to the tab button is not typical filemaker behavior. You can set field behavior on each field on your layout such that either tab, enter or return will move the cursor to the next layout object in the tab order. The key or keys selected can be different for each field, but the behavior should be the same for list and form views.

The only exception to that that I can imagine is if you have an OnObjectExit script trigger performing a script that uses the current view option to produce different results.

• 14. Re: Problems with New Record button
                                    JerryHolt

Thanks for your help, I appreciate your promptness and patience.  Form View does work much better.  I have one last issue with Form View.  When I use the scroll button on the mouse, it scrolls through the records, in other words it changes what record I am viewing when I use the scroll on the mouse.  It does not do this in list view.  Is there any way to change this?

1 2 Previous Next