AnsweredAssumed Answered

problems with portals??

Question asked by coni on Jul 6, 2009
Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 by obeechi

Title

problems with portals??

Am I doing something wrong or is there no way to do this in Filemaker? I have a portal and I am using it to create new entries ("Procedures") of whichever table it is. I have a lot of fields within Procedures, and I want to use a drop-down menu for each. Each field is only an ID, a serial number, and my drop down uses the ID to also get the name of the field. (So say Procedures has a field called Reagent ID, then my drop down has the ID+Name). I want to be able to select one of these, and then have it display the Name. So if I have REAG001 called Reagent 1, that specific Procedure's Reagent ID is REAG001 but Reagent 1 would be displayed in the portal.

I can't seem to get this to work. I can get it to display REAG001, or I can also create a new field that will pull the Reagent Name from Reagent ID into a Reagent Name field in Procedure, but how can I just get rid of the REAG001 and simply show the name? If I "display data" from the Reagent table --> Reagent Name, the drop-down menu becomes frozen and I can't create new entries. 

Thanks in advance!

Outcomes