5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 1:58 PM by LeeMoreau

Problems with QHD Display and FileMaker on Windows

LeeMoreau

Title

Problems with QHD Display and FileMaker on Windows

I used to use Mac with Retina displays and had no issues but I just bought the Dell XPS 13 with the QHD display and I'm having lots of issues.  FileMaker seems to run in high DPI mode, but my databases are all messed up.  They only load maybe 1/4 of the screen, and I have to move my mouse all over to almost make the rest appear, almost like I'm using my mouse to refresh the display. I'll go back to the main layout and only 1 image will appear with all other buttons gone.  Moving the mouse over them makes them appear as they would if "Hovered" but move the mouse away and they are gone.  It's totally random, refresh the layout and it appears, go back and it is gone.  If I access it in WebDirect it's completely fine as it is on all other machines I use.  Some pages like right now our Main Menu is just completely blank showing "Welcome" which is probably 1 out of a total of 30 words on that page, no buttons appear, images, nothing.  If I go to another layout and back it appears for a moment then disappears.  Does FileMaker not support high DPI displays or something?

• 1. Re: Problems with QHD Display and FileMaker on Windows
          philmodjunk

Check and see if the windows display control panel is set at 100%. There are known issues when this setting is set to any other value. Of course, this may result in a display that is not readable on your computer...sad

For More Information see:     FM13v02 - with fatal rendering issues!!!

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: Problems with QHD Display and FileMaker on Windows
            LeeMoreau

Right now it's set at larger, which I believe is 200%.  It's not possible to do 100% as the resolution is something like 3300x2200 or in that range, so when you run a program that doesn't support high DPI and runs at that, the text is literally so small you can barely read it.

If it's a known bug then that's okay at least, I can live with that, although I bought this machine as my FileMaker development rig while on the road!  Our users are all WebDirect and it works fine there, just is unusable on the laptop itself.  Just tried on my external display that the laptop is connected to and it does the same thing on there.

• 3. Re: Problems with QHD Display and FileMaker on Windows
              LeeMoreau

My issue actually doesn't sound that much like theirs, I'll send a screenshot after.  Mine will work perfectly fine sometimes, like right now if I move the mouse a certain way, everything appears and looks perfect, size and all.  As soon as I click somewhere, like the background or a field, half the display disappears but the rest is there.  Move the mouse over that and another area disappears and reappears.  So it's rather odd, as right now I have it looking perfect if I don't move the mouse.  You'd think it was working as expected.  I might try to download the database off our shared provider to see if running it locally helps as maybe it's a connection problem or something but doesn't seem like it.

• 4. Re: Problems with QHD Display and FileMaker on Windows
                philmodjunk

There have been multiple reports of issues when this panel is not set to 100%. Some include things like an incorrect cursor position, for example. You can post your findings to the above bug report thread and see if the FileMaker Inc techs agree or if they think another issue might be involved.

• 5. Re: Problems with QHD Display and FileMaker on Windows
                  LeeMoreau

I just returned the laptop, it's not possible to use it at 100% the fonts are unreadable as even at 200% they are still pretty small and pushing it where I had to up the size on some.  So much for that!