Check that the field is not a calculation, and that modification is allowed.
Check that the user's privilege set Records Modifiable priv. on the Layout, Edit privilege on the Records, and any Field Access Limited... settings allow modification to the fields.
Finally, check that the Field Behavior on the layout for the field has 'Allow field to be entered: In Browse mode'
Thank you for your post. All privileges have been set correctly - as you have outlined in your post. Also I verified that the Field Behavior was set to "Allow field to be entered: in Browse mode".
At this point I have contacted Filemaker directly and have sent them a sampling of the database for them to take a look at to see if they can determine where the problem may lie.
They ran me through several steps: 1. Run Permissions Repair, 2. Save to Compacted 3. Recovered, etc.
I would still be interested in any other suggestions the forum may have.
Thank you for your post, and although I don't have access to your file, here are some things to check.
Startup script - Does it set any global variables that are used in Limited access calculations? If so, what is it?
Have you tried setting up a second account with permissions? Since you are only accessing one field for modification, this is what I have done for my test file that contains four different layouts, and I only want to modify one field on one layout.
1. I created a new Account Name and password (TSGal), made the Account Status as "Active", and select "New Privilege Set..."
2. I select Layouts and selected "Custom privileges..."
3. I selected the third of four layouts, and set the Layout to modifiable and Records to modifiable. All other information was set to "no access". Click OK.
4. For Records, I selected "Custom privileges..."
5. For the table name associated with the third layout, I set View privileges to Yes, Edit privileges to Yes, and for Field Access I selected "Limited".
6. I selected the one field to "modifiable" and all others to "view only"
7. I clicked OK five times and exited out.
I closed the file and opened it again with the new username and password. I'm able to edit information in the one field. All other fields give me an error message.
I closed the file and opened it again with full privileges. I pulled down the File menu and selected "Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing...". I turned on Instant Web Publishing, selected the file, and set access for all users.
I switched to another machine, launched a browser, entered the limited name and password, and I'm immediately taken to the one layout. I am not able to click on any field except for the one field in question. I can then modify the information and save it.
Please let me know if you are doing something differently, and I'll try to duplicate the problem here.