1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 10:36 PM by philmodjunk

Process questions

Kirk_1

Title

Process questions

I can successfully get the correct information from my rate script.

Now that I'm on this side of the process i realize that i built a lot of movement with it. I carry 40 fields of data between 5 layouts and two files. I did as many calculations with in the script and assigned variables to limit this as much as possible.

I have two files to gather info from. I created the second file because there are 6 million records to search from.

This is the process:

I gather info from the 1st file... seven fields with the possibility of 11

Do a look up in the main file, that I have to duplicate at the end for different info

Take it to the second file (the big one) and use that info to do look ups. After several finds I return to the main file          with 32 fields of data.

Populate a layout in the main file with the 32 fields to do an additional search and a calculation from a found set.

Do the second look-up mentioned above to retrieve that info

Perform one to 5 calculations in a loop to set the final values.I have to do the final calculation to have the value to      set.

I use three separate scripts,  perform script call, written with in each file, to go back and forth between the files to get the final numbers.

Here are my thoughts and questions in red:

On the first loop I can get all of the information but ill have to either do global variables or take more info with me       back and forth. What is the cleanest way to do this?

Now that i know that it works and have a complete idea of what it takes to get the final results... do I create more              calculations while I'm in the second file and not bring that much data back? Does it matter?

Where does this have the potential to break down?

Any suggestions on making it cleaner?

There is a possibility of having to do this process up to 5 times to get the final numbers. Do i try to collect all of the info all at once or do the loop 5 times?

• 1. Re: Process questions
          philmodjunk

I realize you are dealing with a large scale problem and that you are trying to fit it into a single post without writing the great american novel, but there really isn't a clear enough picture of what you are doing and why to offer sugestions. It feels like a process that can be greatly simplified, but I'm not at all assured that this is really the case or not.

Note that there are several ways to facilitate data transfer between files:

You can use Import Records to pull the found set of records from one file into new or updated records in another.

You can add an external data source reference to a table from another file and refer to global fields in that table or you can define a relationship linking the two tables to dynamically refer to the data or use auto-enter features to copy data from one to the other.

Multiple items of data can be passed as a script parameter from one file to another by using Perform Script to perform a script in the other file.

The best method, however, is to structure your data and files to avoid the need to do this in the first place. Of course, this isn't always possible.