4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 5:15 PM by eiton

Processing a list of records to create an inventory

eiton

Title

Processing a list of records to create an inventory

I'm using FIlemaker Pro 11 on Mac OS X.

I'm trying to take a my database which has a list of cards with extra information such as condition and price and turn it into something which I can print out.

The important fields in the database for this are:

Name (card name)

Condition (card condition)

Price (price on the specific card)

Now there's multiple copies of cards in different conditions. You might see two entries of "card a" in good condition and one of "card a" in poor condition. I want to go through all those records and create a list broken into groups by name then by condition with a count of each.

Basically, I'm  trying to take records which look like this:

Card A - good - $2

Card A - good - $2

Card A - bad - $1.50

Card B - good - $5

Card C - good - $3

Card C - good - $3

and make it look like this:

Card A - good x2 - $2

Card A - bad - $1.50

Card B - good - $5

Card C - good x2 - $3

Just to be clear, I don't want to change the table the original records are in to have a quantity listed or anything. I want to take all the information from the table and output it as a list which looks like the example.

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to do this exactly just using filemaker.

I just need the output to be in a plain copy and pasteable format.

Those are all the important details I could think of for this problem.

Thanks ahead of time for any help,

Bryce

• 1. Re: Processing a list of records to create an inventory
          philmodjunk

I was going to suggest a simple summary report until I got to this line:

"I just need the output to be in a plain copy and pasteable format."

You don't need that capability to be able to print out such a report, why do you need that capability?

• 2. Re: Processing a list of records to create an inventory
            eiton

The output is not going to be printed. I'm going to be pasting the output into a file for use online so it needs to be copy and paste friendly somehow. It also needs to be just as stripped down and simple looking as in my example seeing as it'll be a relatively sizable list to be scrolling through. (Not so big though that it'll be much of a strain to process.)

• 3. Re: Processing a list of records to create an inventory
              philmodjunk

Ok, create a new blank layout based on your cards table and go into layout mode.

Double click the body parts part label (grey rectangle that reads "body')

Change your body part to a sub summary when sorted by condition part.

Place your Name, Condition and price fields in this part.

Add a new summary field, sCardCount and define it as the "count of" of one of your other fields such as name.

Place this field in your layout to show the number of cards in each type.

Sort your records by name and then by condition and you'll have the listing you need.

To copy and paste this report, export it as a tab delimitted text file or as an excel spreadsheet and select your condition field as the "group by" field when exporting this data.

You can then copy and paste your text from this exported file.

• 4. Re: Processing a list of records to create an inventory
                eiton

Thank you, that set's it up exactly how I wanted.