7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 7:47 AM by calculu

Processing query. Find in progress. .. Breakout of Browse mode into Layout mode

KingsPawn

Title

Processing query. Find in progress. .. Breakout of Browse mode into Layout mode

Newbie.

Windows XP.

FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced.

I am developing an application and I am “Hung” while (Processing query. Find in progress).

I cannot break out of this. I have tried all combinations of CNTL Q, CNTL F4, ALT, and ALT F4 they break out but go all the way to the desk top. I have tried the ESC key but to no avail.

I want to stop the execution and be able to then modify the join of my tables. Every time the system restarts it goes right back to running the flawed application.

If this were just a few tables and a few screens I would delete them and start over BUT there are about 15 tables and maybe 30 screens that work very well. 

There must be someone out there who has run into this problem before. Please help.

• 1. Re: Processing query. Find in progress. .. Breakout of Browse mode into Layout mode
          TSGal

KingsPawn:

Thank you for your post.

It sounds like you may have User Abort turned off.  In your script, place the following script command before your Find:

Allow User Abort [On]

This will allow a user to press Escape during a Find in progress and return control back to the keyboard.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Processing query. Find in progress. .. Breakout of Browse mode into Layout mode
            philmodjunk

From the description, it sounds possible that this is a script set to perform when the file is opened. If it also is set to disable user aborts as TSGal suggests, then he needs to either let the script run to conclusion even if it takes many hours, and then go in and remove/modify the script. Or he needs a way to open the file without launching this script. Perhaps a script in a separate file could be used to open this file with a perform external script call? That used to work but I don't know if it will with the latest versions of FMP.

I'd consider kicking this thing off moments before quitting for the day and then check back in the morning to see if it's finally completed the request. If so, then you can open the script and fix it.

• 3. Re: Processing query. Find in progress. .. Breakout of Browse mode into Layout mode
              KingsPawn

I would like to thank both TSGAL & PHILMODJUNK for responding to my plea for help. I let the application run for about 36 hours and if finally read through all of the data and came to a halt.

I would still like to know if there is a way to halt Browse Mode while it is running and drop into Layout Mode. 

There was no script running at the time.

I have never used “Allow User Abort[ON/OFF]”, although I will in the future.

I don’t know what the default is or how to go about checking.

To solve this problem in the future I will always include a StartUpScript that contains a Pause/Resume Script step with a duration of 5 seconds. This would have allowed me the time to switch to Layout Mode.

Now that I have found a forum with such nice people, as TSGAL & PHILMODJUNK, I will probable be asking many more questions. Again, Thanks so very much for the answers.

KingsPawn :smileyvery-happy:
              • 4. Re: Processing query. Find in progress. .. Breakout of Browse mode into Layout mode
                philmodjunk

KingsPawn,

I'm a bit concerned here. Allowing the query to run, was the simplest way to regain control of the file so you can go in and fix the problem. It doesn't sound like you figured out the reason for your problem. Which begs the question:

How do you know this won't happen again?

TSGal and I were speculating upon similar lines that a find request was being performed by a script and that the All User Abort[off] script step was keeping you from aborting the find by pressing the Esc key. Are you positive that no script was executing? Keep in mind that some files are set to automatically launch a script when it is opened. (Check File Options). Likewise, if you are using FMP 10, you might have a script being launched automatically by a script trigger.

Find requests that take extreme lengths of time are usually due to performing a find on an unstored or unindexed field in a table that contains a very large number of records. I've also seen files with damaged indexes take extrordinary lengths of time.

Feel free to post back with more info about your file, if you want to pursue this further.

• 5. Re: Processing query. Find in progress. .. Breakout of Browse mode into Layout mode
                  KingsPawn

PHILMODJUNK,

FM9

I know that no script was running.

Not knowing what I was doing I had just Joined a table to its self.

I just trying things to see what they do.

It is one way to learn.

After joining the tables I created a list screen and placed two or three fields on it from the table in question. I hit Browse and it started to run but very slow. I know it was my mistake and not any fault of FM.

My question is: If this were to happen how do you abort out of Browse Mode and drop into Layout Mode?

What would happen if I were to execute the following code?

Loop

Set Variable [$LoopCounter;value:1]

End loop

I have not tried this but it seems like it would be the same thing.

KingsPawn:smileyvery-happy:

• 6. Re: Processing query. Find in progress. .. Breakout of Browse mode into Layout mode
                    philmodjunk

Whew! (my ears are ringing after that all caps shout of my forum name :smileywink: )

KingsPawn,

I was just explaining why TSGAL and I were talking about scripts and the AllowUserAbort script step. Please keep in mind that we have no idea as to what level of expertise you have when working with filemaker. As a result, individuals responding to your post have to ask questions intended to help narrow down the possibilities. We also may make suggestions to you that seem to be rediculous simply because we don't know you or your database solution the way you do. My apologies if I've frustrated you in any way.

You asked:

What would happen if I were to execute the following code?

Loop

Set Variable [$LoopCounter;value:1]

End loop

All endless loop scripts can be interrupted by pressing Esc (windows) or Command-. (mac)--that's hold down the apple key and press the period.

I've jumped from 5.5 to 10 and haven't used 10 on a Mac (my home mac has too old an OS installed) so if they've changed the interrupt key command for Mac, another forum user will chime in and correct me.

These interrupt keys should also interrupt most other operations that might "lock up" your machine.

"Not knowing what I was doing I had just Joined a table to its self. "

Self joins are a very powerful and useful tool in FMP. I use them all the time without getting trapped the way you did. However, I can imagine a scenario or two where the wrong relationship definition combined with a specific reference to that relationship that might cause the issue you experienced. If you've figured out what went wrong there, great! If you want help figuring it out, let us know.

• 7. Re: Processing query. Find in progress. .. Breakout of Browse mode into Layout mode
                      calculu

I have the same problem with a similar set-up: a Portal displays the related Record/s to a Record in the main Layout.

After adding a new Record, I click on a Scripted Button with the following Script: "Go to Related Record", with the Options set to Result Options: "Show Only related records" and I ticked "Match all records in the current found set".  This should now show me the newly created Record nicely arranged in the Portal, under the related Record in the main layout.

When I pressed the Button, the message appeared Find in progress... Processing query with a Cancel button (this last bit seems not to have been part of FileMaker Pro 9?).  After reading this post I changed the "Show Only related records" to "Match Current Records only" (instead of "Match all records in the current found set"). 

Problem solved.  However my questions is this: Does this mean that this newly added Record is only 'connected' to the Record that was showing in the main Layout?