2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 8:45 AM by philmodjunk

Producing an editable PDF file from Filemaker 11 database

MadiluMadilu

Title

Producing an editable PDF file from Filemaker 11 database

All,

I have created a client database, and have several documents that I routinely produce for clients.  Those docuements pull the client demographics and standard information into a file.  Then I create a PDF from that data.  The challenge is, that when I meet with the clients to review the document (the PDF), I need to be able to make tweaks and edits right there on the spot.  Does anyone know of a way, or a third party program even that will allow me to make changes to that PDF?  Is there a way to convert a Filemaker 11 file to an ediatable Word Doc?  (I am a Windows user, btw) I hope this makes sense... THANKS!!!!!

• 1. Re: Producing an editable PDF file from Filemaker 11 database
          OwenKlingdon

I'm currently working on a workflow that's similar.  I believe I have a solution that works I just haven't had time to finish it all yet.  You'll need Acrobat Pro which will allow you to create the form template that you use in the PDF.  Then PDF manipulator from Productive computing will open that form and populate it with the info from your database.  It's 2 way as well so you can read in info and edit it and send it back out.  I don't know about word creating tools.

• 2. Re: Producing an editable PDF file from Filemaker 11 database
            philmodjunk

Any chance you could keep this data in the database until after you meet with the client?

You could pull up the data in FileMaker with a layout that you'd use to generate the PDF and edit the data directly in FileMaker. Then you'd generate your PDF after finishing the updates. You can use the same process for any follow up updates as well by pulling up the original data, editing it and then saving a new PDF.