1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2009 3:54 PM by tommytowbar

Products option pricing help

tommytowbar

Title

Products option pricing help

Hi

Can anybody point me in the right way to do this we sale towbar and we sale them as kit which include parts to make kit E.G.

1  towbar

1  12n pre-wired               one prices £150.00

1  bleep

1  ball

let give it a price of 150.00 and would like to take stock of the items in the kit and we have so far 4500 towbar at this time and may have some 10,000 in the end

Andy Notton

firemakerpro 10

vista

• 1. Re: Products option pricing help
          philmodjunk

To confirm

You want the user to select one item "Tow Bar Kit 32456" for the invoice but take the kit's components out of inventory.

There are a number of possible approaches here. The first part is easy, assign an item ID number for each Kit so that the user only need select a single item to add the kit to the inventory.

Some additional questions:

Do you want the individual items that make up the kit listed on the invoice?

Is there a price break for ordering the kit or does the sum of the individual items = the kit price?

Answering these two questions may make it easier to determine the best implementation to use.

You have two basic approaches:

Log inventory changes in a separate table and identify all "kit" invoice entries as a kit and add additional processing to log the sale of a kit as an inventory change that deducts all the "kit members" from inventory.

Make a kit a "zero inventory item" but identify it as a "kit" the instance it is added to the invoice and add the kit listed items as additional items on the invoice (and thus deduct them from inventory.)

In either case, FMP 10's script triggers can be useful here to automatically process such "kit" transactions and an extra table that lists each kit's individual items and quantities will be needed.

• 2. Re: Products option pricing help
            tommytowbar

Hi  

Some additional questions:

Do you want the individual items that make up the kit listed on the invoice?  YES some have serial Number

Is there a price break for ordering the kit or does the sum of the individual items = the kit price?  YES 

Hope this help as i am just a novice

Thanks for all you help

Andy Notton

filemaker pro

vista  

• 3. Re: Products option pricing help
              philmodjunk

You may be a novice, but this issue definitely isn't. Any way to set out to solve it will require additional design changes to your database. One key issue is how are you currently updating inventory? It's possible to update your inventory via an inventory change log that also functions as your line items table. You haven't indicated how you currently do this so I can't tell if this is the approach you are using or not.

I suggest you get started by adding a new table, Kits with the following fields:

KitID

ItemID

Qty  //Add this field if you have kits where 2 or more items of the same ID are part of the kits (2 Safety Chains, ID 4532 for example)

In your existing product table, include one product item for each kit. Add a field to identify each such kit item.

Define a relationship:

Products::ItemID = Kits::KitID

You'll also need an additional Table Occurrence in your relationships graph

Kits::ItemID = KitProducts::ItemID  //KitProducts should have the same data source table as Products

Now you can set up a portal to Kits from the products table where you can document the make up of each such kit.

Now when you add a kit item to an invoice, you'll need a script to find the list of Item IDs in the Kits table and add a line item for each ID, but with a zero Item price (The kit price will be used instead so that you can implement the "kit price" based price break.)

This is just a general outline with some major pieces missing.

How have you currently set up inventory management?

Are items removed from inventory at the moment they are added to the invoice or at the time the invoice is printed? (May be one and the same for your business).

Do you need an automatic check for available kit inventory?

• 4. Re: Products option pricing help
                tommytowbar

Hi

i am not sure about how i would do that aswell thats why i ask this question so to save some time with the data base layout is there a books of tutorials on this kind of system so i can learn more as some thing are not that clear yet with some help i hope to get there

thank for your help

Andy Notton

filemaker pro

vista

• 5. Re: Products option pricing help
                  philmodjunk

I know of general books on the subject (haven't read them myself), but doubt you can find one specific to this subject. Other forum members may know of a tutorial or sample file that might help you out.

There are a number of consultants available who could work with you to either do this for you or teach you how to do it for a fee.

• 6. Re: Products option pricing help
                    tommytowbar

Hi

thankfor that can you help with this problem we have towbar that fit different make eg

Product Part No.infoBumperCutSizeYear

FD4013  ford      Galaxy60x2095-00

FD4013  ford      Galaxy 00-06

FD4013  seat     Alhambra60x2096-00

FD4013  seat     Alhambra 00-

FD4013  vw       Sharan60x2095-00

FD4013  vw         Sharan  00-

data set with productID  KF

Product part No

not sure this will work if i what information on every towbar

thank for all your help

Andy Notton

• 7. Re: Products option pricing help
                      philmodjunk

You want to document the fact that a given tow bar fits a list of multiple car makes?

You could set up a second related table to list car makes. That might help, though you'll need to set up a calucation or use some layout trickery if you want the list to be a horizontal row of data on your screen/page.

• 8. Re: Products option pricing help
                        tommytowbar

Hi

No the layout was away of showing the towbar that fits 6 makes and we have a few of them.  I have a field called make would this be better on it own or what is the best way to link towbar to make as some will be link to a few

Andy Notton

• 9. Re: Products option pricing help
                          philmodjunk

Well, I can think of two options and it depends on your "Make" data as to which is better. If you have a standardized list of Car Make information such that multiple items need to show the same data over and over again, you might want to set up a join table for this to link many car make records to many tow bar items.

Just thinking of what I see in an auto part store catalog or database screen, I'm thinking this may not be the case since your car make information for one part may read:  Chev Astro 00-03

and for another part may read:  Chev Astro 02-05

If this second example is typical, I'd just make a related table of "vehicle make" data related by item number. Your portal can be based on this "make" table and you can place fields from a related "Item" table to display Item description, price, etc.

• 10. Re: Products option pricing help
                            tommytowbar

Hi

I am trying to do this kits option but not sure on Table Occurrence in the relationships and when put a portal in i  cannot edit or add items

ive used productID as the key for products  and have a table called kits

Kits

KITID  number      Indexed, Auto enter serial can't modify auto

productID  number

QTY     number 

link

product :: productID = Kitproduct ::kitID

i think ihave occurrence table called kitproducts

link

kits::kitid = product :: productID

In your existing product table, include one product item for each kit. Add a field to identify each such kit item. NOT SURE what to do

Andy Notton

• 11. Re: Products option pricing help
                              philmodjunk

"In your existing product table, include one product item for each kit. Add a field to identify each such kit item."

In your existing product table, define a new field "IsKit" as either text or number depending on the type of value you choose to enter. I'll use text for this example.

Now create a new record for each kit, assigning it a product number like any other item. Enter "Yes" in the IsKit field. (You could also make this a number field and enter a 1 in it, formatting it to display "yes" or "true").

With this approach, you'll be creating a script that checks the IsKit field to determine whether or not to generate the kit's components in the following line items of your invoice.

• 12. Re: Products option pricing help
                                tommytowbar

Hi

Just having a problem with add product in the portal

i add a new product and put some part in for the kit part but when i change the product part no it put it in the portal as well

no sure what i have done wrong

i cannot add a image to show you sorry

Andy

• 13. Re: Products option pricing help
                                  philmodjunk

Not sure which portal is giving you trouble--the portal where you establish a List of items that make up each kit or the portal where you complete an order by selecting a kit and a script fills in the list of components?

These would be two different portals with different layouts and table occurrence references.

• 14. Re: Products option pricing help
                                    tommytowbar

hi

adding  the kit in product portal

andy Notton

1 2 Previous Next