3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 8:22 AM by comment_1

Program exits when trying find a range of date.

ip

Title

Program exits when trying find a range of date.

I am using Filemaker pro 8 advanced, windows xp sp3.

Finding fields other than date filed does not give any problem. However, when date field is used to try to find out a range for example, 2008-01-01..2008-03-01, an error message pops up, which reads "Microsoft visual C++ Runtime Libraray: Runtime Error! Program: ...aker\filemaker Pro 8 Advanced\Filemaker Pro Advanced.exe.  This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's supporte team for more information." and FMPro quits consistently. The date fields are can still arrange dates in ascending and descending order without any strange numbers or characters. When I try to make a clone copy, it say The file is damaged. When I try to Recover it, it fails. However, the file is opened well with FMPro 8 Advanced and is working normally apparently in every layouts and takes inputs and calculates correctely. Strangely, it fails to open in FMPro 10 trial version, when try to Recover, it say File access privillage is damaged or tempered. But in FMPro 8 Advanced, the file opens well and all the access privillages are shown and I can edit it without any problem. In summary, the only problem in FMPro 8 advanced is failure to find a range of date and cannot save as a clone copy. Need a help, please!!!  

• 1. Re: Program exits when trying find a range of date.
          TSGal

ip:

Thank you for your post.

If you are unable to find a range of dates in a database file with FileMaker Pro 8, then the file is damaged.  The Recover command is not a cure-all, but it will try to repair a file.  The best solution is to go to a previous backup where the find worked properly, and import the data from the damaged file.

FileMaker Pro 10 is more strict reading files, so it is very likely the damaged file cannot be salvaged in FileMaker Pro 10.

If you do not have a backup file, open the file in FileMaker Pro 8 and export the data to a Merge text file (comma-separated file that includes the field names).  You can then import this information into a new database file and it will create the field names for you.  You will have to recreate the layouts again, but at least you have the data.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Program exits when trying find a range of date.
            ip

Thank you very much for your reply.

As you recommended, I exported to *.mer file and imorted the file. About 20,000 among 31,000 records were imported. When exporting to *.mer file, there was no UNICODE options, whereas csv exporting has a UNICODE option. So, all the exported Korean characters became illegible. When importing from *.mer file, there was a Unicode option, but it is of no use because the exported Korean characters were already illegible characters. 

I tried adding a new field named RecordSelected, which is a calcuated field. Calcualtion is Case (OPUdate >= "2009-01-01" and OPUdate <= "2009-03-01", 1, 0). And then, I find the records which has RecordSelected = 1. It seems to work withut error message. Temporarily, I can select out records for analysis, but eventually I do have to recover file further. Deleting all the records and trying to make a clone copy does not work.

• 3. Re: Program exits when trying find a range of date.
              comment_1

ip wrote:
              When exporting to *.mer file, there was no UNICODE options, whereas csv exporting has a UNICODE option. So, all the exported Korean characters became illegible.

Try exporting as XML, using FMPXMLRESULT grammar and no stylesheet.