1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 2, 2014 7:45 AM by philmodjunk

Programs in Filemaker and SAS

NIcholasBirkett

Title

Programs in Filemaker and SAS

I come from a very old style database program in which all of the tasks were performed using lines of code.  I also use SAS for statistical analysis, another code based program.  So, two questions:

1.           Can you write programs (code) in Filemaker?  For example, could I write and run a text file with code instructions to define my database?
      3.           My current database has the ability to write out SAS code which can be used to read in the data.  I know that Filemaker offers ODBC and other data access methods.  But, if I wanted to create a SAS code file instead from my Filemaker dataabse, is there a way to get Filemaker to output text files with code lines?  If so, I could write a program (?report) in Filemaker to create the SAS code I need?

Not sure if this makes sense.  i know it is old school.  But, I have 20 years of research databases in my old database and am trying to find a way to transition from that database to something new without throwing away more work than I need to.  I also need to be able to document  my database changes which is much better done with code than menu clicking.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Programs in Filemaker and SAS
          philmodjunk

1) Yes you can write programs (scripts). No they can't be text files as FileMaker does not provide a text-editor type script editor.

2) It might be possible as export records can be used to both create and open a text file. I've used that method to create and execute both batch and VBScript files. But I do not know anything about SAS code so I don't know if that is sufficient to do what you need.