3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 4:10 PM by philmodjunk

Progress bar on upload container contents to server?

cresal

Title

Progress bar on upload container contents to server?

I have a feeling I'm screwed, but thought I would ask anyway! 

I have a database up and running that stores some very large files in container fields so that many people can access them as needed. The problem I'm running in to is that sometimes a file will not be finished uploading before someone else tries to view or download it. The users are primarily sticking to drag-and-drop to populate containers, and that needs to stay that way for more reasons than i want to go in to right now. :P 

So is there a way to indicate the upload progress of the file? Either to the user making the upload or (preferably) to anyone looking at that container field?

• 1. Re: Progress bar on upload container contents to server?
          philmodjunk

Don't have any suggested solutions for this and drag and drop to an externally stored container field should be just fine, but out of curiosity, what happens when

sometimes a file will not be finished uploading before someone else tries to view or download it.

Does that "someone else" get an error message or an out of date copy of the file?

• 2. Re: Progress bar on upload container contents to server?
            cresal

Instead of showing the file, the container shows the text "The file cannot be found: [File name]"

• 3. Re: Progress bar on upload container contents to server?
              philmodjunk

I can see a way for the OnObjectModify trigger to perform a script that's sets a flag when the user first "drops" a file into the container field, but there's nothing to hook a script to that would clear the flag field when the upload has completed...

Just thinking as I type here, but I wonder what Isempty( containerFIeld ) returns on this field when that error message is displayed.

The idea that I am rolling around in my brain here is that the OnObject modify triggered script would set a flag when the field is modified. OnRecordLoad could then, on the other user's machine, check the flag and use some test such as IsEmpty to detect the fact that the upload is unfinished. It'd clear the flag if the container is not empty but display a message such as "Updated copy of this file in process of being uploaded..." if it is not.

But that only would catch this situation part of the time and I'm not sure that Isempy would work as a reliable test for this situation...