7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2013 10:08 AM by philmodjunk

Progress Chart

ChrisJohnston

Title

Progress Chart

I have a field in my database called progress. This field for now is a checkbox set that has the choices, “Un Started” “In Progress” and “Complete”. Eventually I want an elaborate way to start determining the progress of certain tasks. For now this is a start to understand the way I will construct it. Is there a way to construct a chart that would take (let’s say) 8 tasks and average there progress field and summarize it to show an average bar of where there over all progress is. So I mean on a scale of 0 – 100 with 0 being “Un Started” 50 being “in Progress” and 100 being “Complete”. I also would like to know if you would have to use a script to show the found set of 8 (8 is just a number of tasks or a particular job could be 5, or 11) or is there a way to only chart for related records.

• 1. Re: Progress Chart
          philmodjunk

This field for now is a checkbox set that has the choices, “Un Started” “In Progress” and “Complete”.

Does that mean a record might show the checkboxes "Un Started" and "In Progress" both selected at the same time and in the same field? If not, you should use radio buttons.

Is there a way to construct a chart that would take (let’s say) 8 tasks and average there progress field and summarize it to show an average bar of where there over all progress is.

I'm not sure what you are averaging. Will you be recording progress on different parts of each of these 8 tasks? Or will you have projects with assigned tasks and you want to show the progress towards task completion on each project? And instead of an "average" won't you want to show a percent completion?

Charts can be based on either related records or a found set. Sometimes one option works better than the other for specific charts needed.

• 2. Re: Progress Chart
            ChrisJohnston

I will be averaging Tasks, let’s say for a particular record I have 4 Task in progress and want the average of their progress. In another record I have 7 Tasks and I will average 7 to get the “progress” charted for the record. I can switch to radio buttons, I had setup my checkboxes so only on can be clicked, and if none are clicked it means “Un Started”. Eventually I want to have radio buttons that increment by ten and say 10%, 20%, 30%, or some other way but I want to average it for the X number of tasks for a given record. The X averaged will be the % of the records progress (hopefully charted). You asked the right question about percent complete, I will want the average of the percent complete for each records tasks.

• 3. Re: Progress Chart
              ChrisJohnston

If one record has 5 tasks

Task 1 = “Complete” (100%)

Task 2 = “Un Started” (0%)

Task 3 = “In Progress” (50%)

Task 4 = “Complete” (100%)

Task 5 = “In Progress” (50%)

Total = 300

Divided by 5 = 60% complete. The records tasks are 60% complete. So I am thinking I just need a calculation to get to 60% and then that is the only field that needs to be charted correct?

• 5. Re: Progress Chart
                philmodjunk

Does what you describe mean that you have one record with 5 task fields? Or one project record with 5 related task records?

• 6. Re: Progress Chart
                  ChrisJohnston

one record with 5 task fields

• 7. Re: Progress Chart
                    philmodjunk

It would seem a better design to use a related tasks record. This then does not limit you to a maximum of 5 tasks. And would reduce the number of fields needed for this.

However, assuming that you set up your fields so that only one value can be selected in each task field, you could set up 5 corresponding calculation fields that return numbers. You can then chart the average of those 5 calculation fields by charting:

Average ( Field1 ; Field2 ; ... Field8)

Each calculation field would use this calculation but with references to a different task field:

Case ( Task1 = “Complete” ; 100 ;
                                     Task 1 = "In Progress" ; 50 ;
                                     0 )