7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 4:23 AM by Lion

Progress/percentage Bar in FM 8

Lion

Title

Progress/percentage Bar in FM 8

Hi 

I have a percentage field that I would like to present as a progress/percentage bar that can change colour. Is this feature available in FM8 and if yes how to create the bar?

Thanks, 

• 1. Re: Progress/percentage Bar in FM 8
          mrvodka

Since you are using FM8, some of the new features such as conditional formatting are out.

Perhaps you can use a repeating calc field with container result to display different color blocks that are dependent on the percentage.

How do you plan on using this?

• 2. Re: Progress/percentage Bar in FM 8
            Lion

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply.

I am using this on the timesheet - progress of the job : budgeted vs. completed hours. At the moment my percentage field font changes colour from green to red depending on hours.

I have tried to do what you sugessted but don't know how to go about it.

Thanks 

• 3. Re: Progress/percentage Bar in FM 8
              philmodjunk

You can also use container fields and calculation fields that return container results to get this type of result.

Define a related table

In simplified form (You can add as much granularity as you need by adding more records)

Fields:

Pct   :   Number

image : Container

Create 10 records

Pct       Image

0.0       //leave field empty

0.1       //10% image

0.2       //20% image

0.3       //30% image

and so forth. You can paste or insert any image you want for each percentage.

Then relate the table, linking your percentage calculation field to the PCT field:

YourMainTable::YourPctCalc > ImageTable:: PCT

Now Place ImageTable::Image on your layout and you see a blank image for values < 10%, the 10% image for values > 10% but < 20% and so forth.

• 4. Re: Progress/percentage Bar in FM 8
                mrvodka
                   Tes but you havent explained yet what you are looking for in the bar to look like... You want it to change color but how? So if its 40% done it would be red and higher than 60 green?
                • 5. Re: Progress/percentage Bar in FM 8
                  Lion

Hi

Ideally it would change the colour (if possible) but it can be a solid colour block.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Progress/percentage Bar in FM 8
                    mrvodka

Well there are a few ways to do this. Phil has posted a method where you can use multiple static images.

Here is another one like that as well. If you create a 10 repetition global container field ( lets call it gStatusBar ), you can store 10 different images ( one for each rep ).

You can can have a  calc field with container result as:

Let ( r = Floor ( completed / budgeted * 10 ) ; gStatusBar [ r ] )

Another option would be to only store the 2 solid colored blocks in two reps as I mentioned in the earlier post and use a repeating calculation field. This may be slightly more complex for you though.

• 7. Re: Progress/percentage Bar in FM 8
                      Lion

Thanks, it works really well.