2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2012 7:34 AM by philmodjunk

Prohibiting Modification of a Value List

obidon

Title

Prohibiting Modification of a Value List

I have a simple value list with 2 items. This should be accessed by a popup menu to ensure my interface design remains consistant. 

I have a scenario where I want to prohibit modifcation of this field if a condition exists. 

My current work -around uses a standard field and a trigger script which evaluates the presence of the condition on object modify. A dialogue box is presented and if the condition exists, the script exits with no changes.

If the condition does not exist an additional dialogue presents the user with two choices and I utilise the set field function.  This works well and achives the result.  But as I said, I want to maintain the popup menu design philosophy.

Will I need to set a variable $$existing_value on object enter and apply this variable on object exit?  or is there a more efficient way of working?

• 1. Re: Prohibiting Modification of a Value List
          obidon

Footnote

set variable on object enter, won't achieve what is require with a popup menu

• 2. Re: Prohibiting Modification of a Value List
            philmodjunk

set variable on object enter, won't achieve what is required with a popup menu

It can if you pass the value of the field to the trigger controlled script as a script parameter, then

Set Variable [$$OldValue; Value: Get ( ScriptParameter ) ]

will preserve the original value of the field prior to the pop up menu deploying.

If you place this field inside it's own related table, you can use record level access control to selectively control access to the field.

You can also set a validation rule on the field that rejects all changes to the value of the field if the corrrect value in your control field is not set. THis does permit entry to the field and does permit editing the vaue of the field, but when you exit the field, the user gets an error message and the value reverts.