2 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 12:30 PM by ryan

Prohibiting modification, but allowing initial entry

CCPS

Title

Prohibiting modification, but allowing initial entry

I am using Filemaker Pro 10.0v3 on Windows XP SP2.

I am creating an database to maintain an inventory of each computer my company owns.  We place our own barcodes on the computers.  I would like to allow our computer analysts to be able to input the barcode number when they are creating the record, but once the record has been submitted, prohibit the barcode field from being changed. So far, I can only do one or the other (either allow entry or prohibit editing, which also prohibits the entry of the barcode for new items).  Is there a way to do this? The users are submitting and editing items through IWP. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Prohibiting modification, but allowing initial entry
          philmodjunk

Put barcodes in their own table and use Record Level Access restrictions to prohibit editing the record (That's why you put it in a separate table), if the barcode field is not empty.

For more on this, look up "Editing record access privileges" in filemaker help and scroll down to "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis".

Out of curiosity: What do your techs do if they enter a barcode incorrectly?

• 2. Re: Prohibiting modification, but allowing initial entry
            ryan

another solution:

if your techs enter data in their own layout and you have your users viewing the information in a different layout that is accessible via IWP, then you could simply use a calculation field.

"barcodes_c" = "barcodes"

place the "barcodes_c" field in the user end layout on the IWP and then the field will be not be modifiable.