1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 7:21 AM by marcg_1

Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders

marcg_1

Title

Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders

I'm running Filemaker Pro Advanced 12.0v4 on Windows 7.  I routinely use the Developer Utilities to create standalone versions of a database.  Tools|Developer Utilities|Project Folder usually lists all folders mounted on my machine as possible destinations for the standalone database.  As of today, it only lists my desktop as a possible location, even though other filesystems and folders are available as confirmed with Windows Explorer.

Any suggestions for restoring the complete list of available folders/filesystems in the Developer Utilities Project Folder would be greatly appreciated.

Presentation1.jpg

• 1. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders
          davidanders

Have any file | folder utilities been recently installed?  Is your user an administrator?

If you create or log into another user, do the same limited options display?

Repairing the Hard Drive File Allocation table probably will not fix this, but is simple to do.
          https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+7+repair+hard+drive

• 2. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders
            marcg_1

David, thanks for the response.  This problem with only a subset of the folders/drives being visible is limited to Filemaker -- all other applications are behaving correctly in this regard -- so I don't think that it's a filesystem or user permissions problem. 

• 3. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders
              schamblee

I would try reinstalling Filemaker.

• 4. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders
                marcg_1

Thanks for the suggestion.  Neither "repairing" the program via the Programs control panel app nor reinstalling changes the behavior.  I also checked my antivirus software to see whether it might be restricting the program. 

Project Folder in Developer Utilities continues to show only a subset of the available folders/filesystems for the standalone database location.  All available folders/filesystems do show up under File|Open, however.  As mentioned earlier, this behavior suddenly appeared after years showing all available locations for the Developer Utilities' Project Folder.

I don't see any relevant settings under Edit|Preferences.  Is there perhaps a registry key or something in Users\...\AppData that might be causing this?

• 5. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders
                  philmodjunk

Could the problem lie with your hard drive? Have you run a disk utility to check?

• 6. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders
                    marcg_1

Phil, thanks for the suggestion.  No other app is having this problem and the File|Open menu in Filemaker correctly shows all drives.  It's just in the Project Folder selection under Developer Utilities that my choices are limited to my local Windows User files, i.e., C:\Users\MyUserName .

The drives I really want to access to are network drives, which don't appear at all in FM's DeveloperUtilities|ProjectFolder (although they do appear in FM File|Open and for every other app on the machine).

I will try running a disk utility on my local drive later when I can leave the machine idle and report back. 

• 7. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders
                      marcg_1

I ran chkdsk on my local hard drive.  No errors found and the problem persists.  I may have to open a trouble ticket, but it galls me to pay $45 for what seems to be a problem with the application ... Any other suggestions will be gratefully received.  Marc

• 8. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders

marcg:

Thank you for the post.

On my Windows 7 computer, I am unable to replicate the inability to see folders in the developer utility using FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced. I have the same access to all the folders on my computer (including shared drives) as in the past.

To determine if the issue is user specific or system-wide, could you try a new admin account?

Does this occur under Safe Mode or after an MSCONFIG?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders
                          marcg_1

TSFalcon, thanks for the response.  Please note that the problem is with 12.0v4.  The details are provided in the first post in this thread.

- The problem does not occur when logged in as domain admin (i.e., complete list of files/folders including network shares available in FM File|Open and FM DeveloperUtilities|Project Folder).

- When logged in with my domain account, the problem remains in all of the following scenarios

--- normal login

--- normal login after removing all FM folders in C:\Users\MyAccount\AppData

--- login in Safe Mode With Networking (need "With Networking" for my domain account to work)

I did not try msconfig since the problem persisted in Safe Mode, which has a similar effect to disabling startup programs via msconfig.

The problem does seem to be specific to my account.  Can you tell me where FM stores user-specific config data other than in C:\Users\MyAccount\AppData ?

• 10. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders
                            marcg_1

I ran Ccleaner to look for registry errors related to Filemaker.  I found only a few dangling installer references -- these usually don't affect program operation and may have been a result of my removing  FM folders in C:\Users\MyAccount\AppData -- which I removed, but the problem persists.

• 11. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders

marcg:

Thank you for your reply.

Since the problem seems related to the user account, can you try logging into another user with an identical privilege set on the domain to see if another account exhibits the same behavior?

If another user with identical privileges can replicate, the issue is with the setup of domain account.

If another user with identical privileges can not replicate, the issue is with your specific account. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders
                                marcg_1

TSFalcon,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I set up an identical domain account by cloning my account in AD.  FM works correctly on the identical account: all availables shares/folders available under FM File|Open and DeveloperUtilities|ProjectFolder, as it did when I logged in as Domain Admin.  The problem appears to be limited to my specific account.

How do I find and reset the FM config information associated with my account?  I mentioned in an earlier post that I had already tried reinstalling the app and also deleting the FM directories in C:\Users\MyAccount\AppData (at least, I think I got all of them), but those steps did not resolve the problem.

Marc

• 13. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders

marcg:

Thank you for your reply.

"FM works correctly on the identical account"

So if we have account specific issue, the suggestion would be to migrate your data into a working account; however, I'm not an Active Directory expert, so feel free to consult your IT Department's Domain Administrator for further account level troubleshooting. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Project Folder in Developer Utilities doesn't show all folders
                                    marcg_1

TSFalcon, thanks for the feedback.  Before migrating the account, I'd like to try to fix the FM config on my current account.  Can you tell where the user-specifc FM config is stored in Windows 7?  In particular, is there any user-specific config stored outside of C:\Users\UserName\AppData (e.g., elsewhere in the filesystem or in the registry)?

1 2 Previous Next