3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 2:37 AM by LaRetta_1

Projected Calculation Question

PeterDowns

Title

Projected Calculation Question

Hi 

I have 2 unrelated tables with calculation fields. These fields are displayed on a layout. Is there a way to perform a calculation either on the layout or in one of the tables or some other way. One calculation field is 'projected costs' the other is 'actual costs' and I want a field that displays the remainder value.

Cheers

Peter

• 1. Re: Projected Calculation Question
          aammondd

if they are unrelated fields how  did you get them to display accurately on the layout.

• 2. Re: Projected Calculation Question
            PeterDowns

Hi 

Sorry my mistake.

I have 2 related tables (Projected Costs and Tasks) displaying 2 different calculation fields.

At the moment they both give a accurate sum of the projected costs (Projected_Sum) and actual costs (Tasks_Sums). When I try to take them away 

ie Projected_Sum - Tasks_Sums = value

I get the Projected_Sum - the 1st record in Tasks_Sums list

not what I want

My formula is

Table: Projected Costs

field: Remainder

Type: Calculation

Options: Unstored, = Projected_Sum - Tasks::Tasks_Sums

Any ideas

Cheers

Peter

• 3. Re: Projected Calculation Question
              LaRetta_1

"I get the Projected_Sum - the 1st record in Tasks_Sums list"

It sounds then like Projected_Sum has more than one related Tasks_Sums record?  If so then you need to sum Tasks_Sums instead, something like:

Projected_Sum - Sum ( Tasks_Sums)

However, all this 'summing' suggests something isn't quite right in your structure.  Your tables should be simple data tables and not named 'sum'.  If you wish to discuss and consider whether your structure should be tweaked then I suggest you post again (in another thread) explaining your relationships and what the tables contain so that others can take a look at it.