1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2014 2:49 PM by J.Williams

Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied

J.Williams

Title

Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied

Hello =) I know this will end embarrassingly for me, but here goes. For some reason one of my 10 databases is prompting for a choice between Guest Account and Account Name and Password when opened, but then not allowing access via the "Guest Account." The database is hosted on the same server with all the others that are having no issues - shift, open to use account name otherwise straight to Guest Account with no prompt. I'm not sure what to check other than Manage, Security... hopefully someone can assist. I've provided screen shots below. Please assist if able, many thanks.

NoGuestAccess.jpg

• 1. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
          mleering
          Upon first glance, it looks to me as though it is indeed logging you in, and that some kind of script action (maybe seeing a field?) that guests don't have permission to do was occurring. What happens after you hit OK?
          • 2. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
            philmodjunk

Check your settings in File Options. If you are getting a password dialog when you expect the file to automatically open with the guest account, there's a check box for that option that is not selected.

• 3. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
              J.Williams

I checked File Options and set accordingly, logged out and back in, same issue.

If I hit OK, it reverts back to the prompt.

I am truly stumped, any other ideas out there?

• 4. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
                J.Williams
                /files/de080ca82f/LoginInUsing.jpg 348x386
                • 5. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
                  philmodjunk

In manage | security, is the Guest Account enabled?

• 7. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
                    philmodjunk

Is it possible that your file has a reference to a different password protected FileMaker file?

Such a reference could trip this password log in dialog, but for the other file.

When do you see the "your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action" appear? Is there a start up script that is performed automatically when you open this file? or  a script that is performed OnLayoutEnter or OnRecordLoad...?

• 8. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
                      J.Williams

No reference to another password protected FileMaker file that I can find... no relationships, links, etc.

When opening the database, the prompt first appears with my account name pre-filled, then if I choose the "Guest Account" button "OK" the "your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action" appears.

The prompt should not be appearing at all, but it does, and then there is no way for me to enter via a "Guest Account" only via my own account?

No script that is running that I can find either, assuming I'm looking in all the proper places.

• 9. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
                        philmodjunk

Did you check the Script Triggers tab in File Options? Did you check for OnLayoutEnter and OnLayoutExit triggers on any of your layouts?

That error dialog only pops up if you are actually attempting an action that access privileges do not allow, so this strongly suggests that a script is running when the file opens or a layout is entered/exited if all you do is log in and the error message pops up.

To check for references to other files, open Manage | External Data Sources.

If you have FileMaker Advanced, I suggest that you Launch FileMaker without opening this file, enable the script debugger and then attempt to open this file as a guest. The debugger will ask you for a full access password, but then will function as though the file is being opened by a guest and you can watch for any scripts that might popping up and triggering the error message that you see.

• 10. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
                          J.Williams

First, have to say, I really do appreciate the help...

Checked the Script Triggers tab in File Options... none; checked for triggers on the only two existing layouts I have... none.

No references to other files per Manage, External Data Sources.

Ran the script debugger and basically arrived at the same error once I clicked on the green arrow in the debugger. Ugh!

• 11. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
                            philmodjunk

But I don't see the "your access privileges do not..." error. That is what I think may be due to your script. What happens next in the debugger when you select guest and try to open the file?

You are indeed using a script to open the file--a detail I did not see in your earlier posts. But this is performed by clicking a button in another file.

You definitely have at least two files here, the first one is being used to open the second. That has me wondering if the screen shots you uploaded earlier were from the first file or the second one? And I wonder the same when it comes to looking for script triggers.

Note: I have also seen damaged files fail to open with the specified password of the file that is opening it, so it may not be a bad idea to run a recover on the second file to see if that fixes this issue.

• 12. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
                              J.Williams

When I select guest and try to open the file the "your access privileges do not..." error appears.

Yes, all the databases are opened from one "key" with one layout, no records, only access buttons for each database. All the other buttons work just fine and the button to this database is set up exactly as the others, with the only exception being the target database it opens. I remain stumped.

I do not know how to run a recover... can you advise?

• 13. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
                                philmodjunk

When I select guest and try to open the file the "your access privileges do not..." error appears.

And what do you see in the debugger when this happens?

To run a Recover on a FileMaker file:

Put a copy of the file on your local machine. If this is file hosted by FileMaker Server, you may want to pull the most recent back up copy onto your machine so that you do not interrupt current users of the file.

Launch FileMaker but DO NOT open this data base file.

Select Recover from the File menu and then select the unopened database file to recover it.

Since you have an "opener" file and a file that throws up this dialog when opened, you should recover a copy of both files.

Then test these recovered copies even if FileMaker does not report finding any issues in the recovered files as a number of details are returned to "factor spec" in the recovered copies and all field indexes are rebuilt from scratch as well.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
                                3.           Recover does not detect all problems
                                5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                                7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 14. Re: Prompt for Guest Access... Access Denied
                                  J.Williams

"When I select guest and try to open the file the "your access privileges do not..." error appears.

And what do you see in the debugger when this happens?"

If just flips back and forth between login prompt and error, then when I close out it leaves me with a error code #9 - insufficient privileges... bringing us me full circle. Problem is I can't locate "where" the privilege problem is originating from.

I guess my only recourse is to try the recover. Thank you, again, so much for all of your help.

1 2 Previous Next