3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 7:03 PM by njem

Providing name but asking for destination when saving PDF

njem

Title

Providing name but asking for destination when saving PDF

Using Save Records as PDF if I provide the name it just saves to the FM folder. The only way to get a browse box to come up so the user can choose destination is to give no name. I want to provide the file name but in a browse box so the user can choose the destination. Is there a way to do that?

• 1. Re: Providing name but asking for destination when saving PDF
          raybaudi

if I provide the name it just saves to the FM folder

This is not entirely true, just provide the full path so that it is saved in the directory you want.
               The full path could even be calculated, starting with the value of a field entered by the user.
          • 2. Re: Providing name but asking for destination when saving PDF
            philmodjunk

I believe that Njem wants to let the user pick the directory while Filemaker specifies the file name.

That could be difficult to do and can't be done from the save as PDF dialog as far as I know.

If the destination is one of a small number of standard locations or any folder located within the documents directory, there are ways that the user can specify the location by selecting it as the first step to running a script that saves the PDF.

Either that, or you'll need to acquire a plug in that enables the user to select a directory and returns the path to the selected directory to Filemaker for use in the save as PDF script step.

• 3. Re: Providing name but asking for destination when saving PDF
              njem

Great. So FM has no way to do this, without using 3rd party stuff. Seems like it would be awfully easy to do. Actually I expected that if I didn't check "no dialog" that it would ask confirmation before saving. Something to put on the wish list.