6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2008 2:08 AM by Meat

Pulling info from a drop down list?

Meat

Title

Pulling info from a drop down list?

Hi guys

Im new to databases and filemaker pro, im creating a little database and i have info entered via a drop down lists in some fields.

What im trying to do is take the result (of the field with drop down list) and enter it intoa different part of the database.

I can do this ok with normal text fields by just doing Field = field a plus field b now im tryign to use this ont he fields with drop down boxes but its not responding or giving me a result

is this kind of thing possible in fielmaker pro and would greatly apprecite if it is possible if soemone could send me ont he right track

Thanks

• 1. Re: Pulling info from a drop down list?
          TSGal

Meat:

Thank you for your post.

A drop-down list is the same as a field, and it is just another way to enter data.  If you are using a plus sign, then you want to make sure both fields are number fields.  If you are trying to concatenate two fields together, then use the "&" (ampersand) character to separate the two strings.

If you can give me a more specific example, and also include the types of fields, that would be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Pulling info from a drop down list?
            Meat

TSGal

Thanks for prompt response

This is just my third day on database stuff so im struggling a little bit bt overall love the product

what i have is i have made like a tabbed layout with 4 tabs on it

tab 1 i basically am summarising info from other tabs where most of the data is entered

so on tab 2 for instance i have two drop down lists, with eg Red Green Blue in one and Pink Black and Yellow in the other.

What im trying to do on tab 1 is create a field that combines the results from above so it would say soemthing like Red Black

Ive been using the manage menu thingy and have put in eg Field 1 = Field 2 & Field 3

This has worked fine with just straght text combo but for osme reason when ive tried that on the fields with the drop down boxes its not producing any result, the field just stays blank?

its doin my head in lol, ive been stuck on this since the first day:(

Hope i explained problem better

Regards

Meat

• 3. Re: Pulling info from a drop down list?
              TSGal

Meat:

It sounds like you have the correct calculation (with the possibility of inserting a space), so I'm wondering what else could be the problem.

Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database".  Select the table with Field 2 and Field 3 and create a new field, "TEST".  Click on Calculation type and click Create.  A new dialog box appears.  On the left side is a listing of your field names.  Double-click on Field 2.  It should now be displayed in the large area beneath the field list.  Next, press a space followed by the following:

& " " &

That is, ampersand-space-quote-space-quote-space-ampersand-space

Then, from the fields list, double-click on Field 3.

At the bottom, make sure you select "Calculation result is: Text"

Click OK to create the field, and click OK to return to the file.

Go to a layout where Field 2 and Field 3 are located, pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  Click the Field tool on the left side of the screen and drag it near Field 2 and Field 3.  Select the newly created calculation field TEST, and finally go to Browse Mode (saving the changes), and you should see a result in TEST.

Let me know if you continue to have difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Pulling info from a drop down list?
                Meat

Tried that and it just doesnt seem to want to work:(

Thanks for your help tho but i think ill give it one last try and rebuild everythign from scratch again.

i cant see any reasonw hy it wont work other than it doesnt liek the drop down box.

Regards

Meat

• 5. Re: Pulling info from a drop down list?
                  TSGal

Meat:

Change the drop-down box to a regular field so you can see the contents.  This should give you a better idea of what is in the field and what should display in the TEST field.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Pulling info from a drop down list?
                    Meat

Hi TSGal

Its working now so a huge thank you for your assistance

now im excited again lol

:)