1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2009 8:31 AM by philmodjunk

Pulling Summary field values via a relationship.

GS

Title

Pulling Summary field values via a relationship.

I have created a list of dates and I have a running total of the dates that I want (some dates are excluded).  I want to pull the value of the running total Summary field into another file based on the date of interest.  The ultimate goal is to determine a date (say 60 days out) excluding weekends and any excluded dates - these have been marked in a separate operation).  

I am trying to avoid using a script because the client will be using 8.5 and 9 client software as well and 10.

I have never used this forum so I'm not quite sure I knw what I'm doing.  I don't see my email address so here it is:

<email address removed>

Please contact me by private message (top of this page - right side - envelope icon) 

• 1. Re: Pulling Summary field values via a relationship.
          philmodjunk

It's generally a good idea to leave your email address off your posts. People who choose to help you will simply reply here to your posted question. You can click the drop down menu in the upper left corner of the screen (just above the Kudos control) to edit a post your have already put up on the forum.

I am trying to avoid using a script because the client will be using 8.5 and 9 client software as well and 10.

Go ahead and write scripts! You shouldn't have any significant trouble with putting scripts in your database as long as you don't rely on script triggers (a version 10 only feature). The scripting differences between these three versions are very small. If you want to be especially cautious, use a copy of FMP 8.5 to either design or at least test your scripts. It they work for the 8.5 version, they should behave identically with the other, newer versions.

I can't easily answer your technical question without a bit more info on how you've set up your tables, keys and relationships but can give a general suggestion:

In filemaker you have some functions known as Aggregate functions. You can look these up under that name in the on line help to learn more about them.

Sum(relatedtable::field) for example will return the total that adds up the value in the designated field of all the records in relatedtable that are related to the current table. This is often how you can get results of the kind that I think you want.