4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 9:25 AM by philmodjunk

Purchase decision.

SteveVosper

Title

Purchase decision.

Hi all..

I've been trialling FM13 and have almost made up my mind to purchase - I just wanted to make absolutely sure that the
           finished product will provide everything I need, so would welcome any confirmations, corrections or comments to the following:

1 - FM Pro Advanced - will produce a Runtime version of my application which will be installed on a users computer- this user
           does not need to have FM installed. 

2 - If the user sets up their own peer-to-peer or VPN and downloads Filemaker Go, then they can access & update their database 
           files via iPhone or iPad. (Would welcome any advise on the network setups)

3 - I found this on a Knowledge Base entry (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5432) from 2011:

"FileMaker Pro database files are cross-platform compatible. The FileMaker Developer Utilities for Mac OS X and Windows are each
           platform specific, and each creates a runtime database for that platform only.
           So the actual runtime database must be created on the platform on which it is intended to be run"

I assume that this last point is no longer the case ?

4 - Neither I nor my users need to purchase any additional software in order to do any of the above..

With thanks in advance, 
           Steve

• 1. Re: Purchase decision.
          schamblee

1. Yes FM Pro can produce runtimes.  Runtimes are standalone only and are not sharable.

2.  Clients can connect to a database being hosted on FM Server or Filemaker Pro. Filemaker Server includes 1 concurrent license, additional license will have to be purchased and FM Pro includes 5 concurrent license.  Filemaker has it own networking software built in and this software is require to share a database.  The Databases is either located on Filemaker Server or Filemaker Pro and then is accessed from another client computer running filemaker using open remote.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/specifications.html

3.  You will have to have a mac to create a runtime for a MAC and Windows machine to create a runtime for Windows. 

4.   If it is a standalone databases, then no, but there may be other license required to purchase. (See #2 above)

• 2. Re: Purchase decision.
            philmodjunk

While FileMaker Advanced can produce standalone databases, there are limits in how it can be used. Runtimes not only cannot be shared, they cannot function as the client of a hosted database. And you can't save as PDF (Licensing issue with Adobe). And Last time I checked, you can use charting in a runtime.

• 3. Re: Purchase decision.
              SteveVosper

Thanks to you both for your replies..

Presumably there would be no problem with a single user using their iPad to access their FM Runtime via a Remote Access app such as Mocha VNC ?

• 4. Re: Purchase decision.
                philmodjunk

If what you describe works the same way Remote Desktop Access lets you access the desktop and applications of another computer, then I see no obvious reasons why that would not work--though how well that works will depend on a number of issues--particularly the quality of your wireless access at the time.

I've tried an app for remote desktop access from my iPhone using a 3G connection and the speed was just too slow to make it practical, but 4G or WiFi might make things work acceptably.