4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 6:11 AM by jacksrmd

Push a letter from FileMaker to MSWord

jacksrmd

Title

Push a letter from FileMaker to MSWord

Hello Forum,

I apologize that I'm not sure how to search or word my situation properly. 

My users need to export the letter that they have in FileMaker to MSWord so that they can add additional personalized information as needed and/or remove information not relevant to the individual. 

Any and all help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Push a letter from FileMaker to MSWord
          philmodjunk

What you describe could be done in FileMaker. It does not require MS Word.

But Merge files were designed so that you can export text to a merge file and then use MS Word to import the text. This purely pulls the text into MS Word, you don't reproduce any formatting.

• 2. Re: Push a letter from FileMaker to MSWord
            jacksrmd

Thank you & Hello Phil,

I understand and agree.  But my users are used to doing things the old way, unfortunately for me :(

I'm updating their current system from SQL to FileMaker.  Their current system

1 - has the ability to PUSH template letters to MSWORD for editing

2 - They print a hard copy

3 - They scan the hard copy to create a pdf (because they don't have Adobe Professional)

4 - Someone uploads the scanned file back into the system.

You and I both know all of this is redundant and unnecessary when using FileMaker.  The delimma I have is for them to be able to modify the template letter within FileMaker; then PUSHING the information to MSWORD becomes moot.  Any recommendations on how I should set up their letters within FileMaker and they would be able to personalize as needed?

• 3. Re: Push a letter from FileMaker to MSWord
              philmodjunk

Perhaps this demo file will be of interest: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xw8buafjuohncu/MessageTemplateBuilder.fp7

People with FileMaker 12 or newer can open this file using Open from FileMaker's file menu.

Perhaps if you demo doing this in FileMaker, you'll open a few eyes to the fact that they don't necessarily need MS Word.

On the Other hand, MS Word does doe certain things, like manage page breaks, much better than FileMaker so your demo could come up short.

• 4. Re: Push a letter from FileMaker to MSWord
                jacksrmd

Thanx Phil :)