3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 8:00 AM by philmodjunk

Push Value List Changes

feait

Title

Push Value List Changes

Hi

Is it possible to make it so that when a value list is edited the previously entered values update.

For example:

I have a value list for door finishes with the options:

•           Veneer
      •      
      •           Painted
      •      
      •           Edit Value List...

Say I have entered 20 or so entries using this value list but later want to update the database so that it says:

•           Oak Veneer
      •      
      •           White Paint
      •      
      •           Edit Value List...

Is there a way so that if I edit the value list the entries update too? Currently when the value list is edited the entries remain unchanged and you either have to do a search and replace which is fine for two options but if you have 10 it gets confusing, or manually go though each and select again from the drop-down menu.

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Push Value List Changes
          philmodjunk

Sounds like you should create a table for storing these values and then redefining your value list so that the "use values from a field" option lists the values from this table.

This doesn't automatically solve your issue, but it sets up a basis where an "edit value list" script can both modify the records in this table and also update records in your original table to have the new value.

And from table based value list, you also have the option of setting it up so that only an ID number is entered into your current table's field and a relationship allows you to display the text from your (now) related table. With that set up, edits to the text field in this related table will automatically appear in all records of your original table where this value was selected.

• 2. Re: Push Value List Changes
            feait

Thanks Phil. I'd had a look into something along these line but I think for the people in my office to work in this method would be asking a lot! I think the issue is when it comes to adding new values to an existing value list it might be a bit more long winded then just 'edit value list' for them.

Thanks for the advice!

• 3. Re: Push Value List Changes
              philmodjunk

Actually, with the correct scripting, it can be just as simple as "edit value list" but from a button placed on your layout instead of included in your value list. (Though that could be possible also using this value list change.)

The user clicks the button and gets a popover (FileMaker 13) or small dialog listing your value lists. They edit a value and click OK. The script then does the rest, doing any updates needed.