5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 11:41 AM by EKZ

Pushing Content From One Container Field to Another

EKZ

Title

Pushing Content From One Container Field to Another

Chamblee: Thanks for your reply. Being relatively new to forums I accidentally deleted the entire post and thread when my thought was it would delete my draft reply only. Wanted to delete to start over to make corrections. Can you not delete replies only without loosing the prior threads?

Here is a recap of the exchange that we had so far including my reply. I lost your reply accept for the last part. So sort of starting over:

My first post stated: Lets say there is a table A with a image container ( jpg or pdf } field 1 and a separate table B with container image field 2. Can a script be created that pushes a copy of  the field contents from field 1 to field 2 seamlessly sort to speak? Perhaps via a set field, insert , or what ever script steps / formula that will work. If so how? and does the image quality get compromised? One amongst several uses would be to push content from one container in a document table to an email attachment field in the contacts table. The email attachment field is a global. Thank you.

My Reply: Chamblee: You state that my field is a global already, so am I having a problem? Answer (see attachments} : I have not tried or scripted this as yet because I don't want to mess up anything. My fear is that it may look like it works.  Than down the road after sending emails a discovery is made that a critical part of the FM setup was overlooked resulting in a lost images or whatever causing a communication breakdown with a client that is very important to a project. Just to be sure that I explained this correctly, let me try to do a better job: I have one enhanced external container field in our  "Documents" source  table. The email structure of Contacts resides in a separate Contacts layout.  Basically we have a portal included in he email layout (again the email layout is in the Contacts table). So what we are attempting to do is store in the portal the Document’s text data with a button attached to a script. The script  will grab the container content from the related portal row and sets this content from Documents to the email attachment field. As mentioned the attachment field is a global so we can do multiple emails if we want. Hope the attached screen shots are self explanatory.  Sorry for my bad grammar and spelling. 

Screen_Shot_2013-06-06_at_6.06.58_PM.png

• 1. Re: Pushing Content From One Container Field to Another
          EKZ

Other attachment:

• 2. Re: Pushing Content From One Container Field to Another
            schamblee

You can use global fields any where in your file, so you would not need to insert the pdf / jpg into another container.

• 3. Re: Pushing Content From One Container Field to Another
              EKZ

I am kind of loosing ya. In my solution in its current form the attachment field is a global. Now I have seen solutions where most of the global fields are in a separate table. Is that kind of what you mean? Another point is the document container field is not a global. So how would you push the Doc container contents in the the attachment clobal with out have a set field script or something of that sort?

• 4. Re: Pushing Content From One Container Field to Another
                schamblee

It doesn't matter which table the global field is located, you can use it on any layout.  Developers usually put global field in one table for better organization.   You can create a layout and place container fields on the layout and email this layout as attachment.  To email a document in a container you will have to export the document out of the container than attach to the email.   You can use global fields or a related fields to place the document on your layout.  It is also possible to use set field to put the file into another container, but it isn't really going to benefit you.   You have a relationship already setup between contacts and documents. 

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5394/kw/email%20attach%20container%20field

• 5. Re: Pushing Content From One Container Field to Another
                  EKZ

Did you mean set up my email routine from Documents layout (table A field 1 above)? Also are you saying the only other way push the image is  to save it from Docs to the desktop then  insert it  from the desktop into the email attachment container field (contacts table)? These are the extra steps that I would love to avoid.. The Email is set up with form letters, templates and tracking. This arrangement is in the contacts table. The desired process is to a) perform find of contact one wants to send an email to, b) go to the email layout in the contacts table (All contact data is now in place including necessary text fields , email address, attachment container etc. c) chooses a form letter, d) click a button in the portal row that relates back to the desired image Docs to be attached- Image gets set into the email attachment  container field and E) click send..... Will that work?