6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 10:20 AM by ninja

Putting buttons as a drop down list

ccarr

Title

Putting buttons as a drop down list

I want to use buttons to go to various layouts, but want to do a drop down selection list instead of multiple buttons on a layout.  Is this possible? I use FM Pro 10.

• 1. Re: Putting buttons as a drop down list
          JoshJay

You could use the Event Script Plugin to run as Validated by Calculation.  It works similarly to Script Triggers in FMP11, but is setup as a custom function.  So when the field would be modified and validated the script would run and you could have it grab the result from the drop down list and so forth...

http://www.softs4humans.com/FMPro_Plugins.html

Not sure where your skill level is at, so if you need further clarification let me know.

• 2. Re: Putting buttons as a drop down list
            ninja

Josh Jay wrote:

So when the field would be modified and validated the script would run

Howdy Josh,

How is this different from an OnObjectModify trigger?

• 3. Re: Putting buttons as a drop down list
              JoshJay

No difference at all now that I realized FMP10 has script triggers...it looks like I got the versions mixed up o_0.  For some reason I was thinking script triggers were new to FMP11.

Thanks for pointing it out Ninja.

• 4. Re: Putting buttons as a drop down list
                ninja

Howdy CCarr,

So at the end of the day, you could use a GoToLayout script step, launched on Modify or by a button, that goes to a layout name by calculation.  Have the calc be the field contents from your dropdown list.

Is this what you were after?

• 5. Re: Putting buttons as a drop down list
                  ccarr

I am an advanced beginner.  Let me go to my Missing Manual and see if I can figure it out.  Thanks.

• 6. Re: Putting buttons as a drop down list
                    ninja

CCarr,

Make a backup and play with it til it works...then put it into the "real" one.

In Scriptmaker, make a single step script that uses the gotolayout function.

When that is in place, there are options for that step on the bottom right... choose layout by name by calculation

When the calculation window then pops up, select your field from the top left pane and double click it so it shows up by itself in the bottom window.

Hit OK a few times to get back out.

change your field value to a different layout name using your dropdown, launch the script manually (Scripts dropdown menu) and see if that's what you want.

If so, set up a button with that script attached or set the OnObjectModify trigger to launch that script.

The words are daunting, but walking through it you should find it fairly direct.