1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 2, 2009 7:26 AM by TSGal

Putting Data in a conditional value list without using the other method of of pop-up box

rethy

Title

Putting Data in a conditional value list without using the other method of of pop-up box

I have two tables , 1 table has car info in it.The other table has car-brands and models in it.They are related with each other thru a relationship with the brand field. I can choose the car-brand of a pop-up box where you can choose a car-brand of the car-brand related table. In a second field you then can choose the models of that brand thru a conditional value list so only the models of that brand are selectable. This works fine , but now I want to have something to put a new car-brand in the related table if it does not appear in the pop-up box and the same for the car-model.Can you do this thru the pop-up box(and I don't mean other)

Is this possible? With a script or relationship ... ?

• 1. Re: Putting Data in a conditional value list without using the other method of of pop-up box
          TSGal

rethy:

Thank you for your post.

If a car-brand does not appear in the the pop-up, you would need to add the car and brand in the related table.  If you are using FileMaker Pro 10, you could use a script trigger that checks for a "Other" option, and if true, switch you to the related table to enter the information.

If you are using FileMaker Pro 9 and earlier, you could create an "Other" button that also executes the same script.

Let me know if you need help in setting this up.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.