6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 3:34 PM by philmodjunk

Putting FileMaker Pro database records into folders?

WJDorman

Title

Putting FileMaker Pro database records into folders?

This may be an excessively naive question, but is it possible to group database records together in a folder (or collection) in FileMaker Pro?

I have created an email archive database (using a template supplied by Automated Work Flows LLC) and wanted to group old emails by sender and recipient, ideally by dragging and dropping into folders. 

Many thanks in advance for your assistance,

WJD

(using FMP v10)

• 1. Re: Putting FileMaker Pro database records into folders?
          revmk

Hi Dorman,

Would it not be easier to use a field and then filter by it?

Regards

• 2. Re: Putting FileMaker Pro database records into folders?
            philmodjunk

There's no such "folder" object, but as RevMK has suggested, you can group your records by sender and/or recipient fields which can give you much the same functionality. You can use drop down lists with scripts to pull up specific groups or you can set up portals for displaying the contents of  such a "folder".

• 3. Re: Putting FileMaker Pro database records into folders?
              WJDorman

Would have to give it a try, but -- another fairly basic question -- how does one go about filtering records?

I took a brief look at the FMP10 help menu, but the discussion of filters/functions/formulas would seem to suggest that they need to be built into the database. On the other hand, a quick Google search would suggest that they are for sale as FMP plugins. What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Bill

• 4. Re: Putting FileMaker Pro database records into folders?
                philmodjunk

A change in vocabulary will help. Instead of "filtering" think "Perform a find".

Let's say you want to look at all records for emails sent to FredSmith@somedomain.com.

Simply select a layout that displays records from the table you want to "filter" and enter find mode.

Type "FredSmith@somedomain.com" (include the quotes as an @ symbol has special meaning in find request like this.) into the now blank appearing email address field and click the perform find button.

You now have a "found set" of all the records that have this email address in the field where you entered this search criterion. You can further organize the results by selecting Sort Records... from the Records menu and sorting them in an order you find useful.

Once you can do this by making menu selections, you can write scripts to automate the process if you wish.

To learn more about FileMaker finds, look up "Making a Find Request" in FileMaker help.

• 5. Re: Putting FileMaker Pro database records into folders?
                  WJDorman

PhilModJunk:

Point taken re filtering and finding.

But in order to group e-mails relating to "FredSmith@somedomain.com," I will need a search expression that pulls up records where the "FredSmith@somedomain.com" value appears in either the "sender" or the "to" fields (as well as perhaps the "cc" and "bcc" fields).

Sounds like I will need to explore how to build such expressions into my database. Thanks for your suggestions re scripts and portals.

Regards,

Bill

• 6. Re: Putting FileMaker Pro database records into folders?
                    philmodjunk

The FileMaker help article I mentioned should help you fill in a lot of details.

To search for data that is in field 1 or field 2 or field 3:

1. Enter find mode
                    2. Enter the criteria into field 1
                    3. Select new request from the requests menu
                    4. Enter the criteria into field 2
                    5. Select new request
                    6. Enter the citerial in to field 3
                    7. Perform the find

This is where people start writing scripts as you can set this up so that you enter/select the email in a global field and then perform a script that does the above process for you.