8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2017 11:53 AM by smithj@uoregon.edu

Pyschotherapy intake + confidentiality (limiting account editing privilege to a single record)

NathanLucy

Title

Pyschotherapy intake + confidentiality (limiting account editing privilege to a single record)

Brand new user here—I'm building a database for my wife's counseling practice. I need a way to permit a new counselee (client) to fill out their basic information (this process is "intake"). Intake is easy enough, but confidentiality demands that no client be given access to anyone else's info. (Note: I plan to migrate the Intake form to FMGo for iPad, but I want to make it work on my MacBook Pro first.)

+ So what I need is: A way to limit the client's priviliges to view/edit other records. A new client will only view & edit their own intake form.

+ What I'm trying: Under Security, I've created a "Client" account and limited the Client's access significantly.

+ Where I'm stuck: Either (a) the The Client can make no edits and cannot switch between records or (b) the Client can edit & view all records.

+ My hunch: Learning about Boolean logic will provide the solution. If I can used the "limited" feature in the Security settings, then maybe I can limit the client's view to the current record. (I.e., Get this record number. If this record number = this record number, then grant Client access; otherwise, deny client access.)

Before making the investment in learning Boolean logic, I thought I'd consult the community here... 

Who else is using FMP/FMGo for intake? Am I on the right track? Is there a better approach?