2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 8:47 AM by WBSimon

Q: possible to have two sets of tab orders?

ScottAR

Title

Q: possible to have two sets of tab orders?

I have a database with just under a couple of dozen fields within each record.

In its current form, only four fields are included in the Tab Order--about a third of the fields are calculated or otherwise don't use keyboard entry so I wouldn't tab to them anyway, and the rest are only used in particular instances.

However, there are another three fields that I do enter text into with some regularity; when I do so, it's usually in all three.

What I'd like to be able to do is to have two independent sets of Tab Orders--that is, if I'm editing any of the four fields that currently have a Tab Order set, then tabbing switches between the four. If, however, I click into one of the three fields that I periodically need to edit (but don't currently have a Tab Order) then tabbing switches between those three only, until I click back to a different field.

I suspect this is impossible (at least, I don't see how in FM 11, which I currently use), but I thought I'd check, as well as see if there are any esoteric options.

• 1. Re: Q: possible to have two sets of tab orders?
          philmodjunk

You could use two layouts that are identical except for the tab order. An OnobjectEnter trigger on one of the "other three fields" could perform a script that changes layouts.

But a simpler method would be to leave the additional fields out of the tab order but use the OnObjectkeystroke trigger to perform a script that uses:

Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) )

to identify when a tab, enter or return was pressed in order to use go to field to move the focus to the next of this group of fields. Be sure to end such a script with Exit Script [False] to keep the actual keystroke from being processed.

• 2. Re: Q: possible to have two sets of tab orders?
            WBSimon

Or . . . if you have fmp 13, place both sets of fields on the same layout, identical sets fields on top of each other and hide / display the fields with a simple Boolean calculation , thus changing the tab order.