5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2009 2:26 PM by TSGal

ql-570 label printer problems

DonorTracker

Title

ql-570 label printer problems

I've set up a script to print a single address label to my Brother QL-570 label printer. I'm using the latest Brother driver for OSX Leopard, version 2.04.

When I tell to print from the current record, it seems to want to print the label, and then an extra blank label.  I'm trying to keep it from doing this by having the script print only from page 1 to 1.  It generally will keep this setting, but often reverts to printing "all" pages -- which in this case of "current record" causes the extra blank label to spit out.

Is this a common sort of problem with Mac FMPro 10?  Or just a bad Brother driver issue?

Any workarounds -- other than visually inspecting the print dialog everytime and forcing it back to printing page 1-1?

• 1. Re: ql-570 label printer problems
          philmodjunk

Have you checked out the new forums for printer problems? A number of users are having problems with printers and FMP 10.

Two things to check:

If you preview your label layout, do you see the extra blank page? If so, then then your layout might be a bit too long for the printer to print. This extra length could even be just a few pixels of white space.

Another possibility: as reported in the other forum, a lot of printer drivers can't seem to hang on to custom page sizes when a script executes the Print script step. Is this a scripted print or are you printing manually?

One work around for print scripts that I use where possible:

Have the script go to layout, find, sort as needed.

Enter Preview mode and pause.

Return the user to whatever layout, found set makes sense after they've previewed the report.

While the report is previewed but paused, the user can use print set up and print from the file menu to print their report.

Since users are familiar with printing in this fashion from most other applications, I find the users quickly get comfortable with this approach, though I may have to teach them the difference between "current record" and "records being browsed".

• 2. Re: ql-570 label printer problems
            DonorTracker

Thanks, Phil!

RE: "If you preview your label layout, do you see the extra blank page?"

No, but ...

"your layout might be a bit too long for the printer to print. This extra length could even be just a few pixels of white space."

That was indeed the problem.  Shortening the layout did the trick.

BTW I am doing this in a script. The script forgetting the printing settings, remains an issue, but at least it doesn't mess up this print job anymore.  Thank you!

• 3. Re: ql-570 label printer problems
              philmodjunk

DonorTracker wrote:

Thanks, Phil!

No, but ...

Actually it was there, you just didn't see it :smileywink:. When you preview a layout, the "book" control in the upper left corner becomes a page selection control instead of a record selection control. If you preview a multiple page report, you'll see just the first page until you start clicking on the book pages or dragging the slider.

• 4. Re: ql-570 label printer problems
                DonorTracker

PhilModJunk wrote:

DonorTracker wrote:

Thanks, Phil!

No, but ...

Actually it was there, you just didn't see it :smileywink:. When you preview a layout, the "book" control in the upper left corner becomes a page selection control instead of a record selection control. If you preview a multiple page report, you'll see just the first page until you start clicking on the book pages or dragging the slider.

That's a good tip to file away in my memory bank.  Hope I can summon it up next time!

• 5. Re: ql-570 label printer problems
                  TSGal

DonorTracker:

Thank you for your posts.

You should be able to create a "Print" script step that selects "Current Record" along with the printer, etc..   When saved and executed, should only print the current record, even if you changed it in another script to print records being browsed.  The "Current Record" setting stays with the "Print" script step.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.