5 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2012 9:22 AM by philmodjunk

QR Fonts... want to load Multiple fields

dansan500

Title

QR Fonts... want to load Multiple fields

Using QR fonts, how do I write the script to incorporate more than one field.

Using these fields as examples

Part#

Condition Code

Description

• 1. Re: QR Fonts... want to load Multiple fields
          philmodjunk

Does "QR" refer to a two dimensional bar code font?

Do you want to see a single bar code that concatenates (glues together), the data in the three fields shown?

• 2. Re: QR Fonts... want to load Multiple fields
            dansan500

I just started collecting information about this

We need a small label that we can place on a part,  that would contain the part information.

From what I understand there are different types.

I have attached a 2D label that works..

But I generated it on line. I want to pull information from fields in the database.

We use BAR codes, we load the font and enter the *field*, but I don't fully understand the coding for the QR fonts

• 3. Re: QR Fonts... want to load Multiple fields
              philmodjunk

Do you want to encode that information in the barcode or use it to query your database?

I haven't used QR myself, but have been told that it's just another font like you see for 1 dimensional barcodes.

• 4. Re: QR Fonts... want to load Multiple fields
                dansan500

Well, "That's a thought", I just wanted to print labels with the QR code, but you could acctually use it to FIND the part info in the database. That would be impressive.

• 5. Re: QR Fonts... want to load Multiple fields
                  philmodjunk

So you want to create a single QR code out of:

Part#

Condition Code

Description

If this was a 1 dimensional code, you'd either us a calculation field: Part# & Condition Code & Description

Or put the three fields together as merge fields <<Part#>><<Condition Code>><<Description>>

Either way, you'd then specify the barcode font and print your label. I think the same is true for a 2 dimensional barcode (The QR), but have never had the opportunity to test one.

With regards to using a scanned code to look up data in a database, if your scanner is hooked up to your computer such that it inputs the data in "keyboard emulation mode", you can scan the data into a field in your database (likely a global field) and then a script or a relationship can use that scanned data to find and display data from your database.

Try this test to see if your scanner works in keyboard emulation mode. Put the cursor in a text field or the window of a text editor. Scan a QR code. What do you see on your screen. If text/numbers appear on the screen then your scanner is inputting data in keyboard emulation mode and there are a number of slick ways that you can use the OnLayoutKeystroke and OnObjectExit triggers to automate how Filemaker responds to input from your scanner.